First case of bumble foot...any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MEchickens, Dec 28, 2014.

1. MEchickens

MEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    New chicken owner. Our largest BO hen has been unable to walk all day. Very Large pocket on the bottom of her foot. She is unable to walk. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

3. MEchickens

Dec 21, 2014
    Thanks for that link Alaskan! I read up on it quite a bit and determined it probably isn't bumble foot. The hens feet are both a bit redder than normal and one is a bit swollen. No other symptoms and no other sick birds. She is doing okay and keeping up with the flock. She roosted for the first time in three days tonight. As for what's wrong, I am completely stumped!!

4. Alaskan

Well, the other big possibility is frostbite.

Do you think that is it?

Of course, she could have just sprained it somehow. [​IMG]

5. MEchickens

Dec 21, 2014
    She started limping when it was unseasonably warm, so not thinking frost bite. Maybe an infection of some sorts. One other person suggested infectious synovitis. They both look red, but only one is swollen. It is driving me crazy. At least she seems to be hanging in there and there are no more sick or inured birds. For now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  6. Alaskan

Personally, I really hate not knowing.

Good luck! [​IMG]

Make sure that with being a bit 'down' she is not being bullied off of the food or water dishes.

7. MEchickens

Dec 21, 2014
    Thanks! I have been watching out for pecking, but I should definitely keep an eye on food and water too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by