First chick Arrived Today, urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Calm, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Calm

Calm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    Colchester
    The first of 4 eggs has hatched, over night, under a broody hen, it looks like the hen is pecking the chick hard too, do I take the chick out and put it in the brooder, which is already warm or leave the chick alone, also how will the hen feed the chick if she does not get off the nest, there is food near the nest for the hen,

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The chicks absorb the yolk to live off of so they can go three days without food or water. That's why they can be shipped. Don't worry about them eating or drinking for a while.

Sometimes a hen will peck a chick to discipline it. It may be her way of telling the chick "Get back under me where it is warm and safe". That is not a big deal.

But occasionally you get a hen that is not a good mother. I once had a hen that killed three of her eight chicks and raised the rest. I wasn't home when she hatched and the young lady that was chicken-sitting did not know what to do.

I don't know what your hen is doing, whether she is a threat to the chick or not. You are going to have to use your judgment on that. If you really think she is trying to hurt the chick and not just telling it to get back under her, you will have to raise it yourself. This is often not an easy call.

Good luck!!!

Sorry. I just noticed your comment on the brooder being ready. I'd go ahead and take the chick.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Calm

Calm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    Colchester
    Thank-you for your kind reply Ridgerunner... Kate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by