first chick ever,didn't go well, it's sticky, won't stop peeping. Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Serama Mama 4, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    This is our first bator hatch. the chick pipped and made a hole but after 4.5 hours it seemed stuck. we took it out and helped it out. It still seems weak and just peeps incessantly. I had it under a light and now i have it cupped in my left hand. i tried to put it with week-olds that we bought but they started picking it. It's not fluffy, its dried sticky.what can i do? i have a serama sitting on eggs that are past their date. should i try to put it under her? its a silky chick. the other 4 eggs have not pipped. these eggs were in an lg for a week then we bought a brinsea so we moved them. i think that they were too cool in the lg. i could not monitor humidity in the brinsea but i followed the directions. i need to know what i did wrong, i have another brinsea loaded up halfway through hatch now. thanks for reading this, i would appreciate your wisdom.

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Leave it alone. It will dry on it's one and become fluffy.

They peep all the time, It's normal....

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It sounds like he was shrink wrapped due humidity. The fan in the Brinsea doesn't help either. How many water trays did you fill?

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    It will dry off and the sticky part will flake off, it may take a couple days for it to fluff up. They are usually pretty weak at first, hatching is a lot of work for them. And they peep all the time, especially when they are an only chick, put it under a heat lamp, so it can stay warm, and try adding a stuffed animal, or feather duster to the box, as well as a mirror, so it thinks it has company.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Also show it water, and if it is really weak, you can add come sugar to the water.

6. Serama Mama 4

Nov 27, 2010
    we filled one resevoir for the majority of the tie and both resevoirs for lockdown. i've never heard one peep nonstop, but ive never had one just hatched and all alone. it pipped at 9am and we helped it out of the shell around 1:30, its past 7 and still looks stickyish but it does seem a little better than an hour ago. i really want it to make it, especially because it's my 12 year old daughter's. this is actually her account, she's the "serama mama" . we have grogel and it swallowed a bit when i got it on its beak, i got afraid that it might get it down its lungs. it can't drink on its own yet.

7. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Sticky, weak, very loud chick sounds like the humidity was up or temp was low. The sticky is the albumen if I am not mistaken. Here's the link I go by:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204
    Here's the info I think describes your chick contained within that link
    Sign: Sticky chicks; chicks smeared with albumen. Causes:
    Low incubation temperature.
    High incubation humidity.
    Improper turning. This results in reduced embryonic membrane growth and reduced nutrient absorption.
    Old eggs.
    Very large eggs.

If it were me I would get a cotton ball and gently rub the chick with warm water to remove some of the albumen. You don't have to get it all but most will do. Then place it in a brooder around 100*. I use a small storage container till they are a few days old. I agree with kelseygirl on the stuffed animal or feather duster for company.
    I would also lower the humidity in the other bator. I keep my humidity around 35% days 1-18.
    Good luck with the remaining eggs!

8. Serama Mama 4

Nov 27, 2010
    Thanks for the advice! We managed to clean it up and integrate it with a couple of week-old chicks that we had luckily purchased the day before. It has fluffed up and seems okay. YAY!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by