First chick hatched under broody quail and confused male

Discussion in 'Quail' started by amandria1, Jun 29, 2016.

1. amandria1

amandria1 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Holy canenoli I have a chick today. I went in the backroom to all kinds of commotion. The hen that had been sitting was on top of the may0naise jar my husband had fixed up for the first to hide in when he was alone.

She was on top making a weird sound then I saw my rooster pecking everyone in there going crazy. I peeped in to look at eggs saw one egg cracked open thought that is weird and pretty sure I see a fuzzy baby just sitting there while my rooster and hen fight over who is going back in with the nest.

I grabbed the jar/eggs/chick, then after some wrangling grabbed her too. We have a smaller tank we put them in when we clean the big one.

I need to know what to do now? only thing I am worried about is water I have a water dish in there because that other one I have is to big, plastic dome with water that by gravity comes down.

Please any recommendations would be appreciated. First chick ever and it came really quick I think. Thank you, Adreanna

2. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    wow that is so amazing. sorry i dont have much advice, i am new to all this hatching stuff aswell lol. i think from my own experience is to just leave them be. mum and dad will do everything and you wont have to do anything. just make sure u have crushed food for the chick to be able to eat and a water bowl with water all the time but not deep enough to drown in. mum and dad will keep the chick warm, fed and teach it what it needs to do. hope this helps. oh only other thing make sure the other birds dont try to attack the chick but i doubt that if they hadnt tried already

3. amandria1

amandria1 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Thank you for writing me back. I immediately took chick and mom out and into another house because the male was running around pecking everyone, and it seemed he didn't want anyone including the mom near the chick. So maybe I should of left them but it looked like a mad house when I went in so I just reacted.

Thanks for writing appreciate not feeling alone, no one around me knows more then I so I appreciate the reach out. thanks

4. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Not a problem.. I found that button quails r psycho hahahahah, I just leave ours, the hen is boss in our little cage haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by