First chick order...is this typical?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by newfmadible, Jan 23, 2009.

1. newfmadible

newfmadible Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    North central Ohio
    Well, I never did get my catalog from Meyer but I went ahead and called in my order as some folks suggested. But, now I am concerned about how the whole order process went. The woman I spoke with said they were only doing "handwritten pre-orders". She took down my name, address, phone# etc. and I gave her my order. I did not have a particular date in mind for receiving my chicks. I figured they would give me that. She could not tell me ANYTHING about when my order might be filled. She just said they would call me with a date. (I am doing a pick-up order, not shipping). She said they would fill the requests in the order in which they were taken and that there were a lot of folks ahead of me. I offered my credit card info and she did not want that and said I would pay at the time of pick-up??? [​IMG]
    This is my first ever order and my first experience with chicks. Is this typical? Has anyone else ordered from Meyer and had this happen? I am afraid I will get passed over and not ever get into the system!

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    It sounds normal for the season. There are a lot of specialty breeds of chicks that are currently out of season (meaning the hens aren't laying). They take a pre-order list of names because they can't legally take your money without having the merchandise. As they become available (whenever the hens decide to lay) then they go down the list. There is no way to determine when the chickens will start laying. If you are really concerned about a time line, you may want to look at another hatchery or breeder. Good luck! Waiting is the hardest part.

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Congdon476.....I see in your signature line you should be getting your babies today!!! YEAH!!

As for the original post....I am still waiting to put my first order in at a hatchery so I don't have any suggestions for ya'.

4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Quote:The waiting is driving me batty! Our first express mail delivery doesn't arrive at the post office until 9:30am! Aarrgghh!! [​IMG]

5. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:The waiting is driving me batty! Our first express mail delivery doesn't arrive at the post office until 9:30am! Aarrgghh!! [​IMG]

That's only 4 minutes...Unless you're in a different time zone...It's 9:26 a.m. here...heeheheh watching clock now for ya....

6. newfmadible

newfmadible Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the input and reassurance. What you say makes sense. I was just worried because it seemed like other folks were saying they had placed their orders and were given a shipping date or that certain breeds and dates were sold out already. I will try to be patient and wait to hear from them! I ordered quite an assortment and I sure hope they get it right! My order:
    3 Buckeyes
    3 Dominique
    3 Speckled Sussex
    2 Black Australorp
    2 Buff Orpington
    2 Golden Buff
    2 EE's
    2 Cuckoo Marans
    1 Welsummer
    Of course, now I am already wishing I had ordered a few Favorelles too! [​IMG]

7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:I love our Favorelles....(We have Danny and Sandy--Grease theme).
    Looks like you will have your hands full when your birds do come in...YEAH!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by