First chicken and coop build.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jleider83, May 27, 2016.

1. Jleider83

Jleider83 New Egg

May 27, 2016
    Florida
    Just got my chicks a 2 weeks ago. Crazy how quick they grow. Started the coop last weekend. Need to finsh it up and add on the run. Coop is 4x4x4. Run is doing to be 12 feel long 4 tall and 4 wide. I got 5 birds. Should be a good start. I'm down in Florida so the birds will have a nice life in the sun.

2. Jleider83

Jleider83 New Egg

May 27, 2016
    Florida
    Here a picture of my coop so far. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

Hope you enjoy your flock, and BYC!

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. You may wish to check out the Coops section and "Coops and Runs" forum for space requirements for coops and runs.

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird, inside the coop - excluding nest boxes and roosts. The outdoor run should provide 10 sq. feet per bird. Your dimensions are coming up short. Crowded chickens, can be very nasty chickens - resorting to bullying, feather plucking and sometimes extremes like cannibalism. Chickens will easily fly out of your run with a height of 4 ft. - unless you put a cover over it.

Your coop will also need ventilation in fact some coops in warm climates, have two wire sides and two solid, so heat doesn't build up so badly. Please visit your state thread and find out what they recommend.

7. Jleider83

Jleider83 New Egg

May 27, 2016
    Florida
    All the rafters vent under the room and I have three 2 in vents on the sides. I got in it the other day at noon at it was not hot at all. Also it is right up against the fence on the south side. Where the sun is and a palm providing shade on the east and west side. As far as the size that's as big as I could go. Hopefully they will play nicely.

8. Jleider83

Jleider83 New Egg

May 27, 2016
    Florida
    [​IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by