First chicken death. No visible assymptoms?

XAshleyX

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Connecticut
I came home from work today and one of my black australorps was laying down in the run and wouldn't really move. When I lifted her, she felt cold. She was breathing and opened her eyes, but quickly closed them again. I brought her inside and tried to give her some water with nutridrench but her beak was open and she was laying on her side. I put her on my lap and within a few minutes she had what appeared to be seizures and passed. I have no clue what could've happened. She's been acting normal. Her crop wasn't empty or full/hard. Just kinda of semi full and soft. Her stomach wasn't hard that I could feel. And she passed this. She was only 10 months old.
Feed is all flock with oyster shells and grit in a container whenever they want. She gets along well with the other flock members.
Ugh idk.

Attachments

• IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 10
I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you just came in time to see her go through the throes of death. I would suggest to open her abdomen if you can, and take pictures of her major organs to post here. Or consider sending her in to your state vet tomorrow am for a necropsy. If you do the latter, keep the body cold wrapped in plastic bags inside a cooler, but do not freeze. Did she lay eggs? It could have been a reproductive disorder, fatty liver disease, crop disorder or other organ failure. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you just came in time to see her go through the throes of death. I would suggest to open her abdomen if you can, and take pictures of her major organs to post here. Or consider sending her in to your state vet tomorrow am for a necropsy. If you do the latter, keep the body cold wrapped in plastic bags inside a cooler, but do not freeze. Did she lay eggs? It could have been a reproductive disorder, fatty liver disease, crop disorder or other organ failure. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you for this information. I definitely cannot do it but I plan on sending her tomorrow for a necropsy. It just seemed so sudden...
I'll update you with results when I get them.

Back
Top Bottom