First Chicken Egg!!

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
OMG! I got my first chicken egg today! I am so jazzed!! My question....
the egg is as small as a guinea egg...is this because it is a first egg? and when should
I feel comfortable eating my chickens eggs??? I was thinking maybe they need a bit of
practice to get things right? As you guessed, I am new to this but am trying hard to do
things right...my chicks are 15 - 16 weeks old and have been on layer feed for a week or so..

My first egg was as tiny as a quail egg. It was either from my Brahma or my Jersey Giant. The next egg was more normal size. They are now a year old and their eggs are larger than they were last fall.

My Cochin laid "rubber eggs" and then didn't lay for 5 months. Now her eggs are pretty, but she lays a batch then goes broody for a couple months
sad.png

I ate my first tiny egg! It was so cute, and was fine quality.

First eggs are often unusual in some way. Size is one -- may be breed dependent. My ISA Browns laid absolutely ENORMOUS first eggs last Nov/Dec when they started, and the eggs gradually became more like a regular Large egg by about Feb/March.

Congrats!

I got my first eggs on Saturday. They are very small also. I've been getting two a day now, and they're all the same size. We've eaten the first two - no problems there - and are saving up so we can get a real meal out of them (instead of just a bite each, lol).

well ok then! thanks...it's good to know that size doesn't matter and that the egg(s)-( hoping for more tomorrow)- are ready to enjoy!!
This little egg is such a pretty brown and sized like a guinea egg....I feel like a proud momma! How silly huh? Anyway, thanks for your
input and time!

Back
Top Bottom