1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Chicken Egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by critters, Jul 18, 2011.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! I got my first chicken egg today! I am so jazzed!! My question....
    the egg is as small as a guinea egg...is this because it is a first egg? and when should
    I feel comfortable eating my chickens eggs??? I was thinking maybe they need a bit of
    practice to get things right? As you guessed, I am new to this but am trying hard to do
    things right...my chicks are 15 - 16 weeks old and have been on layer feed for a week or so..

2. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    My first egg was as tiny as a quail egg. It was either from my Brahma or my Jersey Giant. The next egg was more normal size. They are now a year old and their eggs are larger than they were last fall.

My Cochin laid "rubber eggs" and then didn't lay for 5 months. Now her eggs are pretty, but she lays a batch then goes broody for a couple months [​IMG]

I ate my first tiny egg! It was so cute, and was fine quality.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    First eggs are often unusual in some way. Size is one -- may be breed dependent. My ISA Browns laid absolutely ENORMOUS first eggs last Nov/Dec when they started, and the eggs gradually became more like a regular Large egg by about Feb/March.

4. 8Chicks4Ky

8Chicks4Ky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Congrats!

I got my first eggs on Saturday. They are very small also. I've been getting two a day now, and they're all the same size. We've eaten the first two - no problems there - and are saving up so we can get a real meal out of them (instead of just a bite each, lol).

5. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

well ok then! thanks...it's good to know that size doesn't matter and that the egg(s)-( hoping for more tomorrow)- are ready to enjoy!!
    This little egg is such a pretty brown and sized like a guinea egg....I feel like a proud momma! How silly huh? Anyway, thanks for your
    input and time!

6. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    Yay for eggs! [​IMG]
    I agree with Denninmi, I remember my first egg was quite small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by