First chickens and Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chix-in-GA, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Hello all...Let me start with saying "We are totally new to the chicken thing". I just finished building my first coop and have really enjoyed the whole process of building it.

My co-workers has chickens and he gave us a few hens and a rooster to start off with. We also have a wonderful New Hampshire Red that is more like a pet than anything. He basically has run of the property.

Here are some pics...and please let me know if you see anything that does not seem right. Like I said we are totally new to chickens but I think we are hooked!

[​IMG]
    I will be putting windows in later this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any helpul hints.

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Looks awesome to me!! WAY better than the whole "chicken coop" stereotype!! I think you did a great job [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You've done a wonderful job, congratulations.
    I have a couple of questions.

Is the run covered? If not you might want to do that, it's wonderful protection from predators.

Have you thought about putting a patio block just outside the pop door? Keeps their feet cleaner, and it helps to have come concrete available because birds like to sharpen their beaks and use it to clean sticky stuff off, too.

What size is the chicken mesh? Couldn't tell from the photos, 1/2" is generally recommended. Larger keeps the chickens in, smaller keeps everything else out. Is the mesh partly underground?

At any rate, like the rest of you you've begun a terrific adventure of learning and fun! I'm still modifying mine...[​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

5. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Since it looks like your down in Ga, you may want to add some hardware cloth around the bottom of the run. Otherwise the coons are going to find them pretty quick.

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Wow! Great start! The suggestions that others have posted are pretty much my only concerns as well. You certainly did your research!

7. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Thank you for your comments...

Yes the run is covered on top as well. I used 1" wire all around. Hopefully it will keep out the bad stuff. But I might change that in the future.

The wire is in the ground about 6" or so.

I will put a concrete block by the pop door for sure. thank you for the info about sharpening their beaks, was totally unaware of that.

Hardware cloth around the bottom...got it! thanks

I do have another question...Should I have any concerns about having the rooster in with the hens all the time? I see that alot of people just have hens...thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  8. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    You may want to get the hardware cloth on sooner than later. A coon or fox is going to rip that apart as soon as they smell the chickens, and then you won't have many to worry bout with the rooster.

Very nice job. Will be great once the windows are in also.

9. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Coop looks comfy inside.......nice job!
    The roost may be a little high, jumping down they could hurt themselves. But really It's hard to judge the distance from a photo, it could be just fine...
    Don't be disappointed if they ignore the nest boxes and lay the eggs on the floor underneath, mine totally ignore the nests and lay in an old cheese wheel container.[​IMG]

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I always try to keep a roo in with my hens even when I don't want to hatch babies. The roo watches out for the hens and will alert them if predators are around. And many roos will protect their girls to the death in times of attack. Even the birds that are in a pen and don't free range have their roo.

And good job on the coop!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by