1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First chickens ever...help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kplchicken, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kplchicken

kplchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    My family adopted three two-week old chicks today. They are beautiful and we are very excited about about raising chickens. I have read a lot but need some advice. We live in Tucson- it is as hot as 108 during the day and as cold as 75 at night. I have had people that have chickens here tell me that they are ok outside and that I can put a light on them at night. I am afraid to cook them! SO- will they be ok at night, outside with a light and free from wind? Do they need dark to rest/have some peace? Also, as what point is it ok to put them in a coop? At 4 weeks? Is there danger in them going into a coop too early? And- can I feed them produce now or should I wait a bit longer?

Please help...
    kplchickens

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    With those temperatures, and in a draft-free area I really wouldn't worry to much about extra warmth. If they are free from drafts and what-not I think they will be fine at that age. My concern would be if the temps drop lower then 75. You might want a light ( a red bulb doesn't interfere in their sleep) and just make sure they have plenty of room to get away from it, so they won't "cook" so to speak.

I'd take it easy on the treats, some are fine, but you really want them to be getting most of their nutrition from their chick starter. If you do give treats (boiled eggs, meal worms, or fruit are always good) just make sure they are getting enough grit. Even though chick start contains grit, I like to give them play sand for added grit.

Since they are the only chickens you have, then putting them in the coop at 4 weeks is fine....you may not be... [​IMG] I always worry the first week when I put young ones out, my little 4 week olds have just moved to their tractor, [​IMG] until they are old enough (and big enough) to be put in with the big guys. Hope this helps.
    Enjoy your new chickens, they are addicting!!!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, they can be outside with just a light during the night. Try to keep night temps at 80 or so since it is only their second week. As for day time though, thats a bit too hot! Maybe find them shade and a way to cool them down?

SO- will they be ok at night, outside with a light and free from wind?

yes

Do they need dark to rest/have some peace?

no

Also, as what point is it ok to put them in a coop?

As long as it is predator safe now is fine. I have some of mine out at day 1

Is there danger in them going into a coop too early?

no as long as they are safe

And- can I feed them produce now or should I wait a bit longer?

you can now, just let them eat some dirt too for grit.

4. Tinkerchick

Tinkerchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Heber City, UT
    I was never told to give the chicks grit. What do I do? My chicks are 3 weeks old.
    Tink

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Play sand works fine. You really only need to add grit if you are feeding treats. Chick starter does have grit, and if that's all you're feeding then they will be fine. I just give mine a little dish of sand...

6. Tinkerchick

Tinkerchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Heber City, UT
    They are on chick starter now. Will I have to give them grit when they are done with chick starter?

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Chick starter is normaly fed to them untill they are 18 to 20 weeks. If you have them outside in a run, they will be able to get grit from the dirt. When you start them on layer pellets...it wouldnt hurt to put a small "sandbox" in the run. Mine love to dust bathe in thiers. Regular play sand works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by