First chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lotusgirl40, Jul 6, 2011.

1. lotusgirl40

lotusgirl40 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Picked up our first chicks on Saturday, some Sussex speckled and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Had been completely against having chickens for my entire life but finally caved and I am quite suprised to find that these ones are cute and entertaining. I may not hate chickens afterall! Looking forward to enjoying and learning more about them
    Kathleen

2. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] -- they are a lot of fun... enjoy !!!

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I was the same way. I didn't want chickens after DH suggested. Then on Christmas day I by suprised recieved my first baby as a gift from my DIL and her fiancee. Now I am a chicken addict. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from California!

I was 55 before I considered keeping chickens. Just a few, for bug control, free fertilizer, and yah, some eggs would be nice. I had NO clue how much personality each chicken would display. Personality? In chickens? Oh MY!

Quality chicken time completes my day. I just love watching them, listening to the things they say to each other and to me (there's always at least one gossip in the flock), and there's just nothing funnier to see than a fluffy-butt hen running away from you on some important chicken errand. (Not running to GET away, but just go do something else, someplace else.)

The interrogative "Bok?" just cracks me up.

You are so gonna love BYC! Please feel free to ask any questions and for sure, post photos of your chickens, your coop, your family members, your other companion animals, flowers in your yard, or just anything. We LOVE to see photos!

[​IMG]

5. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I could'nt have cared either way about chickens. My father in law suggested getting them and I have been hooked ever since! It's an animal that I can get more and more of and my husband can't complain that they are doing nothing to help out!!!![​IMG]

6. escianci

escianci Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    I too was surprised at the personality of the chickens. I have only had mine since April, but have fallen in love! DH can't believe how much time I spend with them. They are great and great with the kids:hugs They let them hold them and love to see what they have brought them. They are great!!

7. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and good luck. They will be well worth it. [​IMG]

10. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    [​IMG] from Florida. Have a blast with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by