First chickens!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by billsikkenga, Mar 24, 2013.

1. billsikkenga

billsikkenga New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

We finally decided to get some chickens. After much research, we decided to go with ISA Browns, Buff Orpingtons, and Auracaunas. I'm hoping the temperment of these girls will stay as sweet as they are at 5 days old! This picture is of my oldest daughter, Emma, with her favorite that she named "Charlotte."

2. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Congratulations on becoming a chicken owner!! [​IMG]

There is so much joy to be had with chickens!! [​IMG]

Remember though, some do not tame down like some Ive read about on here. But Owning chickens is so exciting, even if they dont cuddle. I love giving them treats, watching them scratch, talking to them, and collecting eggs!! [​IMG]

Welcome to the community!! [​IMG]

3. billsikkenga

billsikkenga New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is my brooder box. Read a lot about using a plastic tote, but was worried about the heat on the plastic, but its actually not really that hot.
    [​IMG]
    These girls lasted about 15 minutes before they were eating and drinking. Hopefully that means I made them a comfortable and happy home!
    [​IMG]
    They sure do like to eat!
    [​IMG]
    This one is my fovorite! She crawled right up in my hand and went to sleep. My daughter said we need to name her "Sweety!"

4. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Awww they look very happy!! [​IMG]

But watch out!! they grow FAST! [​IMG]

Have you got plans for a larger brooder? Remember they should not go outside until temps at night are in the 40s (F) at night. Or until they are fully feathered out.

I made my brooder, it was so easy, a good big box works great. Ive seen people use playpens for babies and even some furniture boxes.

Sweetie is so cute!!! What an adorable fluffy baby!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. CruchyJeepMama

CruchyJeepMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Eastern North Carolina
    So cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by