1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Chickies Arrived Today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lmarcia, Nov 20, 2012.

1. lmarcia

lmarcia New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    My first go-round with chicks started today. I had ordered 3 back in September waiting for Nov 20th to arrive. They were active and lively when I got them (thank goodness because it's been cold!) and I fell in love instantly!

[​IMG]
    My girls (left to right): Charlotte, Molly, Dixie

My favorite is Molly. She will actually hop over to my hand when I place it in their brooder to check the temperature. She loves to be held. Charlotte is large and in charge. She lets all the girls know she's the boss and to get in line. Dixie is sweet and the only one I worry about a little bit. She's lively, but likes to sleep. I've gone in several times today and she's been the one laying down and knocked out. Probably just a nervous first-timer. She did just get shipped thousands of miles and have an exciting day of people holding her.

Just in time for Thanksgiving cuteness!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Awwwwwww their so cute. Congrats

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Yay! [​IMG]

4. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Aww, they're soo cuuuuute!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Who wouldn't fall in love with them? [​IMG]

6. lmarcia

lmarcia New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Thank y'all! I think I'm in for a good time. Are most chicks skidish as they get use to you holding them? Do chickens ever just come to you like a domesticated dog or cat would? Just don't know their demeanors and want to make sure I handle them correctly. They won't be running around my house, but they'll sure get held a lot. My little one (almost 2) now goes in the mornings and says "Hey Chickes...cuuute" He likes them, but doesn't want to hold them just yet, which is FINE with me. Think they all can get a little older (chicks and my son) and then we'll introduce holding. Happy Thanksgiving all!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by