First chicks are hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mnhomestead, Oct 13, 2012.

1. mnhomestead

mnhomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    My very first chicken eggs are hatching!!! They are actually supposed to be due on the 15th, so I guess the incubator must have had a couple spikes....

Parents are Hens: Gold sex link, Rooster: should be barred rock (slim chance of glw or bcm)

So far two are out and I have one all white and one black.... (not sex linked correct...? That would only be first generation?)

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea about generation this and that or links and whatnot, but I wanted to say CONGRATS [​IMG]

3. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    Thanks! I am so excited, I can't help but go and look like every 15 minutes to see if the others that have pipped are out yet! [​IMG]

4. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    So there are five white/yellowish ones and one black one so far. 3 more in the bator, one pipping! I wonder if any of the others will come out black or if that will be the one odd ball out [​IMG]

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

[Full Edit] I wish you luck with your chicks, OP. I'm sure regardless of who the responsible roo is - they're all going to grow up to be adorable. I'm pretty much done attempting to add my opinions on this forum. ;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Old English GB

Old English GB Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    The Coop
    Your barred rock cross chicks will also be black. http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator So if you have an odd chick, it likely came from 1 of your other roos. The other 2 roos will throw predominantly red chicks with varying degrees of lacing & spangling. The white chick has to be from someone carrying recessive white & the leghorn heritage of the mother.

7. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    I say should be barred rock because after these girls went through quarantine and were introduced to the flock they were locked in a room inside coop and then after a few days were let out to free range during the day with others. The barred rock 'claimed' them and followed them into their room every night so I let him stay with them, and during the day they were usually seperated from the rest of flock. Still a chance though that one of the other roos could have gotten to them. I don't really care who father is, just found it interesting that there is only one black one in there. He's so cute, and really stands out! [​IMG] Hopefully the rest don't pick on him too bad.
    I will go take some pics right now! One more to add to the brooder, two eggs left in bator (they were put in two days later....I couldn't resist adding two more)
    [​IMG]

8. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    Some of the white ones have areas of gold and some have little black spots on them, like they were sprinkled with pepper [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    Last one just popped out, and guess what....it's another black one! Only 2 out of 9 came out black and they were the first and last to hatch!!! So what is everyones best guess as to who fathered them- Barred rock, Black copper marans or golden laced wyandotte?
    Out of the 14 eggs I had set 9 hatched! Of the five that failed, four of them had never begun to develop and one looked like it started and then just stopped. I am very pleased with my first hatch! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by