First chicks. Breed and gender help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luisen1996, May 25, 2016.

1. luisen1996

luisen1996 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Hello everyone.

This is my first post in this forum and It's my first time raising chickens too. I incubated this guys and they were born 4 weeks and 3 days ago. I brought the eggs from a farm without knowing the breed and even though I've been searching, I haven't found the breed. I'm also having trouble with the gender.
    I'd really appreciate your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on a successful first hatch!
    For breed ID we need to see the whole bird (legs included) - a natural, standing position is best. What color(s) were the eggs you purchased? Did you see the flock the eggs came from - if so were they all one type of chicken or did they have a large, mixed flock? Do you have the contact info for the source which would allow you to reach out to them regarding the breed(s) they keep?

3. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    They all look like the same breed of chicken. Also, I think you have three cockerels (first three pictures) and two pullets (last two pictures). Maybe New Hampshire Red or Production Red?

4. luisen1996

luisen1996 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Thanks for the help. Sorry for not specifying, they're only two. The first three pictures are of one and the last two of the other. They come from light brown eggs, I don't know how their parents' flock looks like.
    Here's one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the other one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first one (left) has been smaller than the second one (right) since birth.
    [​IMG]

Tell me if you need any more pictures :).

5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I'm going to go with the even split here. The first bird (being larger and standing more upright) makes me think its a cockerel. Second bird looks just like every young pullet I've had before. Congrats on the hatch and welcome to BYC!!

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Thanks for clarifying that --
    Yes, I'd say the first bird is a cockerel and the second is a pullet.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

8. luisen1996

luisen1996 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Hello everybody!! I think some feed back is important so you know how good your guesses were. They're both roosters, now four months old. I'm still not sure about the breed, it is probably some kind of red (rhode island, hampshire or production). Again, thanks for the help!! I'll leave some pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by