First chicks. Breed and gender help.

luisen1996

Hatching
May 25, 2016
Hello everyone.

This is my first post in this forum and It's my first time raising chickens too. I incubated this guys and they were born 4 weeks and 3 days ago. I brought the eggs from a farm without knowing the breed and even though I've been searching, I haven't found the breed. I'm also having trouble with the gender.
I'd really appreciate your help.

Hello everyone.

This is my first post in this forum and It's my first time raising chickens too. I incubated this guys and they were born 4 weeks and 3 days ago. I brought the eggs from a farm without knowing the breed and even though I've been searching, I haven't found the breed. I'm also having trouble with the gender.
I'd really appreciate your help.

LEANING COCKEREL

SUPECT
PULLET

PULLET

Welcome to BYC and congrats on a successful first hatch!
For breed ID we need to see the whole bird (legs included) - a natural, standing position is best. What color(s) were the eggs you purchased? Did you see the flock the eggs came from - if so were they all one type of chicken or did they have a large, mixed flock? Do you have the contact info for the source which would allow you to reach out to them regarding the breed(s) they keep?

They all look like the same breed of chicken. Also, I think you have three cockerels (first three pictures) and two pullets (last two pictures). Maybe New Hampshire Red or Production Red?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for not specifying, they're only two. The first three pictures are of one and the last two of the other. They come from light brown eggs, I don't know how their parents' flock looks like.
Here's one.

Here's the other one

The first one (left) has been smaller than the second one (right) since birth.

Tell me if you need any more pictures :).

I'm going to go with the even split here. The first bird (being larger and standing more upright) makes me think its a cockerel. Second bird looks just like every young pullet I've had before. Congrats on the hatch and welcome to BYC!!

Hello everybody!! I think some feed back is important so you know how good your guesses were. They're both roosters, now four months old. I'm still not sure about the breed, it is probably some kind of red (rhode island, hampshire or production). Again, thanks for the help!! I'll leave some pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom