First Chicks Have Hatched Hurray!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nova022, Aug 25, 2013.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    My Buff Orpington and one of my Easter Eggers have been going broody regularly since they started laying. I finally talked my husband in to letting them each hatch a batch of eggs. They both sat on their eggs faithfully, but the Easter Egger was clumsy and ended up breaking all but two of hers and kept scattering them so that she was not able to cover them all. After 23 three days I pulled the two eggs and cracked them to find that they had started to develope but the chick had died at some point short of full developement. The Buff Orpington hatched four out of the five eggs she was sitting on and has been an excellent mother so far. The eggs were from the community nest box, so I have no idea what they might be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are probably mixes if you have different breeds of hens, my Buff Orpington is clumsy and always ends up crushing her eggs when brooding them. Congratulations on the hatch! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Quote:Thanks I am very happy to have these little ones. They are definetly mixes because I have only one rooster and 9 different breeds of hens. It will be interesting to see what they will look like when they feather out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by