1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

first chicks, need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arabookworm, Oct 27, 2008.

1. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hi
    my family is getting a chick in mid november, and we have never had one before.
    I just wanted any advice anyone had on feeding, bedding, where to keep them, etc.

and how do i keep my four year old brother away from them?

where does one get food by the way? or can we feed them something already in our house?

HELP!!!:eek:

2. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    1st Welcome to backyard chickens.. The I would reccomend you go to the homepage and read chickens 101. Lots of great info to get you started..

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

First of all your only getting one chick? I think it may get lonely. You will want to keep them in a draft free area with a heat lamp. Get a type feed that is for the age of the bird. Do you have and Tractor Supply Stores near you or feed mills?

4. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i dont think there is anywhere near my house where i can buy chicken feed. what should I do? should I feed them something else? is there a way to make your own chicken feed?

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a Farm & Fleet by you. If so they have feed.

With out being rude you really should of read up on how to care for chickens.

Chickens are social animals. They like having someone to pal around with. It is best to have a group of 3. IMO.

Depending on where you live and how cold it gets you will need to set up a brooder with heat lamps to keep them warm till they feather out.

Like the above poster said go to the homepage and read Chickens 101.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Look in the phone book for feed stores. If you can't find any, research poultry feeds on the internet and ask your local pet store to order the feed for you. Purina makes chicken/poultry feed that your local pet store ought to be able to order. For one chick(you really ought to consider getting more than 2) a 25# bag ought to be plenty to last you for a while. As a chick I would stick to the chicken feed and fresh water. When it gets older you can introduce it to different food sources. If you haven't already, read the chicken 101 for some additional advice, and read various posts on topics you may want to know about.

7. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] I suggest getting more than 1 chick. They are meant to be in flocks. They keep each other warm and happy. They are lonely and cold with any less chicks than 3. I suggest getting 2 or 3 more.

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    arabookworm, I sent you an email. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by