First cocktail hand fed baby learning ahead of time

Pics

Ravenlover

Bird lover,idk I'll think of something later 😂
Jun 22, 2020
Okay so I own 2 coturnix quail and like 5 buttons quail(normally hang out in the quail section) but I want a cocktail and I found a seller who hand feeds untill old enough to be sold (I sold her some buttons and coturnix quail) she sells around 159$ to 350$ depending on what color u want she only charges more for the lutino and albino (I'm not sure what morph she sells for the 150 ) honestly I looked it up and they are all gorgeous in one way or form to me, point is she sound legit as a seller ? And prices sound right ? And can a few people point me to the right direction in learning for the baby ahead of time and is a 30x18x18 cage good ? Or what is (found a super nice one that is 30x18x18 for just 66$ , any and all help is appreciated ty

(I do know they need tons of attention and are super clingy which is what I want and I have the time I mostly work from home I only have to spend 4 hours at work property and when I do the misses will be home) here is a picture of a female that I was almost given for free but instead had to be put down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-075727.png
    Screenshot_20220120-075727.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 28
Okay so I own 2 coturnix quail and like 5 buttons quail(normally hang out in the quail section) but I want a cocktail and I found a seller who hand feeds untill old enough to be sold (I sold her some buttons and coturnix quail) she sells around 159$ to 350$ depending on what color u want she only charges more for the lutino and albino (I'm not sure what morph she sells for the 150 ) honestly I looked it up and they are all gorgeous in one way or form to me, point is she sound legit as a seller ? And prices sound right ? And can a few people point me to the right direction in learning for the baby ahead of time and is a 30x18x18 cage good ? Or what is (found a super nice one that is 30x18x18 for just 66$ , any and all help is appreciated ty

(I do know they need tons of attention and are super clingy which is what I want and I have the time I mostly work from home I only have to spend 4 hours at work property and when I do the misses will be home) here is a picture of a female that I was almost given for free but instead had to be put down.
I would wait and get an adult. Hand feeding is really difficult if you've never done it before and a lot of things can go wrong. A lot of people offer very young babies as a way to make quick money and they don't really care what happens once they're gone.

If fed incorrectly, the babies can get crop stasis, crop infections and bacterial infections, which they are very prone to that young. They are also very easily aspirated.

You'll also need to have a brooder box: https://www.chewy.com/brinsea-tlc-3...3ybwzA2QKLDFLBPrUWfC_s_sPzjv7OQUaAv23EALw_wcB

These keep the baby warm as if they get too cold they will stop digesting their food.

I hope this information helps. ♥️

I would wait and get an adult. Hand feeding is really difficult if you've never done it before and a lot of things can go wrong. A lot of people offer very young babies as a way to make quick money and they don't really care what happens once they're gone.

If fed incorrectly, the babies can get crop stasis, crop infections and bacterial infections, which they are very prone to that young. They are also very easily aspirated.

You'll also need to have a brooder box: https://www.chewy.com/brinsea-tlc-3...3ybwzA2QKLDFLBPrUWfC_s_sPzjv7OQUaAv23EALw_wcB

These keep the baby warm as if they get too cold they will stop digesting their food.

She hand feeds them untill they can eat and are ready they say they ween at 7-9 weeks

How long do they need a brooder box once 7-9 weeks and wined also she owns a brooder box as she has mentioned it a few times, also I want it as young as I can get it till weaned , if I had the time to lose sleep I would personally hatch and hand feed it my self but I don't have that much as I would have to feed it idk every 3 hours at first lol that a plan for retirement

Get two, this species of bird doesn't become less tame with two if both are gotten as tame babies and you will be spared the screaming that comes with one bird whenever you leave its sight. I always kept them in pairs.

Get two, this species of bird doesn't become less tame with two if both are gotten as tame babies and you will be spared the screaming that comes with one bird whenever you leave its sight. I always kept them in pairs.
But I love the over attachment and I'm used to the screaming cuz I single raise buttons to super tame them some times, but I was thinking I'd want a pair just cuz I love hatching things and letting them hatch there own if able (have a pair that hatches and raises quail) hmmmm idk if misses will let me get two though 🤔 would convince her to get one but she just got a baby hognose

I'm willing to lose a lot of sleep for this baby just if I can avoided the wake up every 3 hours to hand feed that be good, even willing to sit in a chair and sleep with it to comfort it 😂

The screaming isn't good though, it means the bird is stressed. I am an advocate for keeping paired parrots unless no other option exists, it's much better for their welfare as flock animals.

I'll try to say everything I know about cockatiel care from my experience keeping and breeding them:

If you get weaned babies, they don't need heat or a brooder box.

A 30 x 18 cage is OK but it's smaller than recommended. It can accommodate two cockatiels that get lots of time out to fly. I don't recommend wing clipping cockatiels.

Cockatiels really enjoy toys they can destroy. Soft wood, yucca, cardboard and the 'finger trap' things you can buy as novelty toys on ebay are enjoyed. Some like bells. Don't give them any mirrors unless you have two birds, otherwise one bird will bond to its own reflection which is extremely unhealthy. I have never had birds which have a real bird to interact with bond to a mirror.

Feed pellets from the start and limit seeds to treats. Roudybush is what I feed my parrots (Brotogeris, elegant parrot and scarlet-chested parrot, but I used the same food for cockatiels when I had them.)

Cockatiels like green leaf vegetables, broccoli, hard boiled egg, and sometimes fruit like apples as well.

They can be trained to drink from a glass hamster bottle and this keeps their water clean. They will enjoy a bath in a large bowl once a week.

The screaming isn't good though, it means the bird is stressed. I am an advocate for keeping paired parrots unless no other option exists, it's much better for their welfare as flock animals.

I'll try to say everything I know about cockatiel care from my experience keeping and breeding them:

If you get weaned babies, they don't need heat or a brooder box.

A 30 x 18 cage is OK but it's smaller than recommended. It can accommodate two cockatiels that get lots of time out to fly. I don't recommend wing clipping cockatiels.

Cockatiels really enjoy toys they can destroy. Soft wood, yucca, cardboard and the 'finger trap' things you can buy as novelty toys on ebay are enjoyed. Some like bells. Don't give them any mirrors unless you have two birds, otherwise one bird will bond to its own reflection which is extremely unhealthy. I have never had birds which have a real bird to interact with bond to a mirror.

Feed pellets from the start and limit seeds to treats. Roudybush is what I feed my parrots (Brotogeris, elegant parrot and scarlet-chested parrot, but I used the same food for cockatiels when I had them.)

Cockatiels like green leaf vegetables, broccoli, hard boiled egg, and sometimes fruit like apples as well.

They can be trained to drink from a glass hamster bottle and this keeps their water clean. They will enjoy a bath in a large bowl once a week.
What size cage do you recommend then ? I was only going for that size cuz I was told it, but am willing to buy a bigger size and yes they will get outside the cage time unless I am asleep or out of the house so like 12-16 hours a day out of the cage is that enough ??,

Toys I knew lots of toys mirror advice is very helpful ty for telling me , and how are harnesses vs angle rings vs velvet ankle ring, and cocktail dioers vs shoulder cloths

Back
Top Bottom