First cold night outside...how do I know they're okay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RitaK, Nov 18, 2013.

1. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    I just moved my ducks outside at night (9 weeks old). Last night was their first night in their house. It has lots of hay, is in a corner out of wind etc... Last night was a low in the 50's. Tonight is their second night outside and it's a low of 36 tonight. How will I know if they're warm enough? I'm afraid of heat lamps with hay....

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You know they're OK because they're OK.
    Ducks can handle cold at an earlier age than chickens and chickens can handle much colder temps than people give them credit for and if acclimated, chickens at 9 weeks can take just about anything.

3. mumma duck

mumma duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I read a lot on this when I put my ducks outside and apparently once they have all thier feathers they are fine outside. Im not sure what 38 is as im in Australia and we use celsius but I heard that the only time to watch them was in frost and freezing temps. They will quack all night and huddle really close if they are too cold. I put one of my daughters big dog teddy in with them and cover the cage with blankets to keep out the wind. The love the teddy and snuggle up to it every night.

4. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by