First Complaint

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HudsonValleyGirl, Aug 5, 2010.

1. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    When I first started letting my chickens out for free ranging, they would go into my neighbors yard. They were fine with it. I I told them not to feed them treats because, they will start to take advantage and ruine their flower beds. I even told them that if they were bothering them to stick the hose on them and they would learn not to go over their. We are friendly with our neighbors. Well they chose not to take my advice and yesterday my husband was told by my neigbor that the chickens are going in her flower beds and that she doesn't want them over there. So now my hubby and I are going to have to fence off our property. For now I have been letting them free range for a few hours while I am doing yard work and I watch them.

My poor chickens.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My sympathies to your chickens, but you expected your neighbor to teach you chickens not to go over there? Uhm, they are your responsibility, not theirs. And treats or not, they would be going in the flower beds.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I think you were out of line to let your chickens wander into someone else's yard. That sounds like a good way to ruin a neighbor relationship.
    When I was calling our city code enforcement office, one of the things they cautioned me about, was wandering chickens, as that is when trouble starts.
    You definitely should have a way of containing them in your yard, to avoid trouble like this, as well as to protect from predators.

4. Keens2050

Keens2050 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    We used to let ours free range until one day I happened to see them in/around my neighbor's immaculate garden. Let's just say that my relationship with my neighbor is WAY more important than letting my hens free range. So now they are in their run all day and I go and pick clover & grass for them and put it in the run. Once her garden in done for the year, I'll let them back out but not until then!

5. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    When we got the chickens we told our neigbors about them and they were the ones that were excited. They wanted them in their yard to eat the bugs and stuff.

I should have worded my words differently on here.

This is what I said to her when we got them. I am going to let them free range, but If i see them going in your yard I will put up a fence. They both said oh no we love the little girls. I then said IF they are ever bothering you, feel free to give them a good spray and tell if they are doing so, so I can take care of it right away. We are friends and hang out and that is why we have that kinda relationship were we can say that to each other.

This is what my husband and I are doing. My neighbor and my husband right now are putting up a big fence. They just went to home depot around half of our property. They came over this morning because they felt bad about my chickys being cooped up. So they offered to give us a hand today to get the job done.

Thanks for the thoughts.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like a great compromise! [​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Sounds like you've got great neighbors to work with your like that!! Wish there were more out there like that!

Mine actually buy my girls organic corn as treats on occassion. The wife will even set on the back step and crow back at my rooster.

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Dora'smom :

I think you were out of line to let your chickens wander into someone else's yard. That sounds like a good way to ruin a neighbor relationship.
    When I was calling our city code enforcement office, one of the things they cautioned me about, was wandering chickens, as that is when trouble starts.
    You definitely should have a way of containing them in your yard, to avoid trouble like this, as well as to protect from predators.

I'm Sorry But I must agree. If my neighbors dogs or whatever became my problem in my yard, i would tell them get them off But i'm glad your fencing it in, definatly for the best [​IMG]

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
  9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Have to say that you have really good neighbors and it sounds like you have been a good neighbor back to them. I wish many more neighbors could work things out as maturely as you all. Our neighbors have chickens as well. In fact it was their chickens that inspired me to get my own. I would come home most days to find them in my barn or out picking in the horse "piles". The children would come over to round up the chickens on occasion and the mom came over one time to apologize. I told her it was no problem and she told us that we could keep any eggs they laid in the barn. It worked out well for both families and now I know I won't have to worry about mine going on to their property if they wander over there. [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    "Good fences make good neighbors" Robert Frost

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by