First coop and run almost complete!!

Hnownr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Got more chickens then I was originally was going to get... 3 became 12, so I had do get something much bigger then I was first planing on. Here are some pictures, have to put a wire roof on the pen, and have a door made up for them to go thru should be done in the next few days
big_smile.png

26174706.jpg

19b50de5.jpg

Hope the pictures come thru alright...

Last edited:
Whew was I glad to scroll down and see that second photo with the chain link dog kennel. Just remember to cover the bottom 2' with hardware cloth to keep predators from reaching through. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation or that shed will become one hot box!
wink.png

Looking forward to seeing your progress...

Looks great! We just finished our coop and run. I agree with previous post about ventilation. That shed could become a smoker. Enjoy the birds.

Used 2x4 weld wire on the bottom and I am going to finish up the top with the same tomorrow, having a guiliteen style metal door made from a local welder hope it holds up well! And for the ventilation, I honestly don't think it gets too hot in there, we just had a couple 90+ degree days and it wasn't that bad during the day in there... I think mostly because it only gets sunlight up till about 11-12 ish and gets shade the rest of the day. Thank you for the comments, I will post some more pics when I get it finished up in the next few days!

Quote:
I agree. It's not just heat, it's ammonia fumes and also they need fresh air! You gotta do something for some ventilation, you can't close them in solid like that. It will be unhealthy for them.

Quote:
I agree. It's not just heat, it's ammonia fumes and also they need fresh air! You gotta do something for some ventilation, you can't close them in solid like that. It will be unhealthy for them.

Yep - you'll definitely need ventilation. Whatever you're using to cut the pop door through that vinyl material(?), just do the same thing for "windows" up high, and use screws/washers to put hardware cloth screens over them.

Also, although the 2x4 welded wire is great in that it's very strong, it, over top of chain link, won't keep small raccoon hands from reaching through the wire to grab a chicken neck to pull a bird through. You really should consider a smaller meshed wire around the bottom portion... It's fine for the top, because the little birdies are on the ground...

Last edited:
If nothing else, get some ornate floor registers and plunge cut them in. They have a built in lever so you can open and close them. The old big ones are fancy and inexpensive on Ebay or you can get the new basic ones at the lumber yard or heating furnace companys

Quote:
Look closely it's already there, it's at the peak on the front and rear.

Back
Top Bottom