First coop and run almost complete!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hnownr, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hnownr

Hnownr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Got more chickens then I was originally was going to get... 3 became 12, so I had do get something much bigger then I was first planing on. Here are some pictures, have to put a wire roof on the pen, and have a door made up for them to go thru should be done in the next few days [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope the pictures come thru alright...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Can't wait to see how it turns out!

3. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Whew was I glad to scroll down and see that second photo with the chain link dog kennel. Just remember to cover the bottom 2' with hardware cloth to keep predators from reaching through. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation or that shed will become one hot box! [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing your progress...

4. sandsfamilychickens

sandsfamilychickens New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Looks great! We just finished our coop and run. I agree with previous post about ventilation. That shed could become a smoker. Enjoy the birds.

5. Hnownr

Jun 12, 2011
    Used 2x4 weld wire on the bottom and I am going to finish up the top with the same tomorrow, having a guiliteen style metal door made from a local welder hope it holds up well! And for the ventilation, I honestly don't think it gets too hot in there, we just had a couple 90+ degree days and it wasn't that bad during the day in there... I think mostly because it only gets sunlight up till about 11-12 ish and gets shade the rest of the day. Thank you for the comments, I will post some more pics when I get it finished up in the next few days!

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Please put some more ventilation in at least in the peaks to exhaust the ammonia fumes

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I agree. It's not just heat, it's ammonia fumes and also they need fresh air! You gotta do something for some ventilation, you can't close them in solid like that. It will be unhealthy for them.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I agree. It's not just heat, it's ammonia fumes and also they need fresh air! You gotta do something for some ventilation, you can't close them in solid like that. It will be unhealthy for them.

Yep - you'll definitely need ventilation. Whatever you're using to cut the pop door through that vinyl material(?), just do the same thing for "windows" up high, and use screws/washers to put hardware cloth screens over them.

Also, although the 2x4 welded wire is great in that it's very strong, it, over top of chain link, won't keep small raccoon hands from reaching through the wire to grab a chicken neck to pull a bird through. You really should consider a smaller meshed wire around the bottom portion... It's fine for the top, because the little birdies are on the ground...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If nothing else, get some ornate floor registers and plunge cut them in. They have a built in lever so you can open and close them. The old big ones are fancy and inexpensive on Ebay or you can get the new basic ones at the lumber yard or heating furnace companys

10. Hnownr

Jun 12, 2011
    Quote:Look closely it's already there, it's at the peak on the front and rear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by