1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bjolley, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bjolley

bjolley New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Hello

I have 6 week old chicks and they are starting to outgrow there current home. I was told that chickens grow fast and understood that. The thing I didn't realize is that they "GROW FAST". I started building this a few weeks ago, and has been very interesting because I have never built anything. The run is 8' X 16' and then the coop is 8' X 5', the front is almost 9' and the back is about 8' tall. It ended up being a little taller than I expected because I did not account for the top and bottom pieces. I spent months and months of research on BYC for ideas and found that my wife and I liked "Tripple C Coop" the best. I just got the coop floor frame done tonight and am going to try to get it finished tomorrow along with the top of the coop and maybe start painting.

I was thinking of doing sand for the coop floor but not sure if the sand on the 8X5 floor would weight to much....thoughts? I am doing wood shavings at the moment in my garage and is way to dusty. I will try to do updates as soon as I do more, thanks.

[​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    looking awesome, love it....We recently built our second coop, but it didn't turn out to be everything that I imagined so we might be building a third one real soon, LOL.

I think your peeps will just love that when its finished!

Ema

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

looks good, better get building LOL before the girls start laying. sand I only keep about an inch on the floor at a time, So if you don't go to deep you should be ok. [​IMG]

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    That's going to be a good looking coop! I see your neighbors are close. Are there a lot of chicken owners in your neighborhood?

5. bjolley

bjolley New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    ya there are about 4-5 others close by that have chicks.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You are lucky! I have close neighbors but I'm the only one who has chickens in my immediate street. So, every noise I'm running out and going shhhhh. LOL

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Looks great bjolley! And Ema, they say 3rd times a charm!!

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Great start but what's holding it square? Looks like it would be sorta wobley. At least till the siding's installed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by