First Coop built. Thoughts?

Patriot1983

Hatching
May 24, 2020
I just finished my first coop. It is 6' x 12' and 5' high. I am going to be completing the accompanying 12' x 18' fully enclosed run. I have not built the nesting boxes yet... chickens I picture are about 8 weeks old. I had to cut out the bottom section of both left doors and add hardware cloth for increased ventilation. All comments and suggestions welcome

Attachments

• 20200524_201538.jpg
    20200524_201538.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200524_201556.jpg
    20200524_201556.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200522_110254.jpg
    20200522_110254.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Beautiful chickens! And gorgeous coop! My only recommendation is keeping a Well ventilated shaded spot for them to sit under and chill. I have my coop raised 2+ feet and a hook under it so I can hang the feeder under the coop. I have a hose hooked to a 5gal bucket with a pressure valve and a float, as well as 4 cups that they peck and it fills with water.Keeps the Bucket clean (I haven’t had to clean it in months as the water doesn’t sit) and keeps the food dry! Nice coop! :thumbsup
Thank you for commenting, the coop itself is partly shaded but it does get about 4 hours of Florida sun. I plan on using a little bit of solar shade cloth for the run.

I just finished my first coop. It is 6' x 12' and 5' high. I am going to be completing the accompanying 12' x 18' fully enclosed run. I have not built the nesting boxes yet... chickens I picture are about 8 weeks old. I had to cut out the bottom section of both left doors and add hardware cloth for increased ventilation. All comments and suggestions welcome
Beautiful chickens! And gorgeous coop! My only recommendation is keeping a Well ventilated shaded spot for them to sit under and chill. I have my coop raised 2+ feet and a hook under it so I can hang the feeder under the coop. I have a hose hooked to a 5gal bucket with a pressure valve and a float, as well as 4 cups that they peck and it fills with water.Keeps the Bucket clean (I haven’t had to clean it in months as the water doesn’t sit) and keeps the food dry! Nice coop! :thumbsup

Thank you for commenting, the coop itself is partly shaded but it does get about 4 hours of Florida sun. I plan on using a little bit of solar shade cloth for the run.
If y’all get a lot of rain, I’m gonna warn you now based off of personal experience if you’re using an enclosed run (Caged run). They’ll eat all the grass away (no biggy), but the problem with that, is it exposes dirt. And the dirt isn’t the problem; when it rains they dig holes and after a few months if it isn’t raised or doesn’t have much drainage it just turns to mucky yucky mud pools. :sick

Back
Top Bottom