First Coop construction for mixed flock

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cameron03, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Cameron03

Cameron03 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    I am trying to design and construct a coop for a mixed flock of chickens and ducks a combined total of 3-4 birds. I am having trouble finding how big to make it what to put in it is it a large box like or is it compartmentalized? Im at a total loss.. Currently I have a barred rock chick and welsh harlequin in the brooder.. Please help! Thank you
    -Cameron

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have over a hundred birds so my coop build (in the my coop section of my profile) was a little bigger project. However I do have a mixed flock of chickens, turkeys and ducks and I didn't do anything different to accommodate the 3 species (4 at one time since I had guineas when I initially built the coop). The guineas, chickens and turkeys roost on the roosts. The ducks occasionally get up there but more often sleep on the floor under the roosts. The ducks also lay their eggs in nests on the floor while the chickens prefer to lay in the nest boxes. I keep water outside the coop and have a feeder inside the coop and they all share both.

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I have my coop in a large shed. I built a chicken section and a duck section that both open to a shared run. The first few days were chaotic, with chickens in the duck pen and ducks in the chicken pen, but pretty soon they figured it out, and now at night the ducks are on one side and chickens are on the other. Oh, and don't forget the people section - I keep my food, hay, supplies and tools in their own section so I don't have to step in chicken and duck poop everytime I do my flock chores!

4. Cameron03

Oct 6, 2013
    all of this information is great.. do i need a poop board (what ever that is) and how big do i make it i have a small back yard and 2 of the birds (not the ones mentioned) will be food the two I mentioned will be for eggs my harlequin and barred rock get along very well

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Since chickens poop a lot when they are roosting, a poop board will help keep the chicken poop off the ducks below. The board is usually 12-18 inches wide, and centered underneath the roost. It should be as long as the roost is. I don't use one, because I have 3 roosts in a row across the width of my coop, so the board would be 48" wide, and then the chickens could not get onto the inner roosts if the outside one had no room available for the bird to fly up to. But if your coop design permits it, the poop board is a great way to keep the coop cleaner. You have to be willing to scoop the poop of course!

6. Cameron03

Oct 6, 2013
    thanks for the clarity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by