First coop finished! ~pics~

Jessie_Jazz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Suffolk UK
My first chicken coop is finished and I am picking up 4 ex battery hens tomorrow - so exciting!

Have a look and tell me what you think to my first attempt at coop building.

This is the front with the pop-door. The coop is 5' by 4' and the run is 8' by 8'
64892_dscf3218.jpg

Here you can see the double doors for cleaning and the external nest boxes
64892_dscf3207.jpg

and the inside....
64892_dscf3210.jpg

64892_dscf3212.jpg

64892_dscf3211.jpg

It has taken me and my husband just under 2 weeks to make it from scratch and cost just under £100 or around $150 (not including the cost of taking hubby out for dinner tonight to say thank you for helping make it) as most of the materials were salvaged or donated.

It looks nothing like the plan and we ended up making it up as we went along - but I'm still pretty happy with it.
The only thing I want to change is to add more windows and vents, but as my husband wouldn't let me near the jigsaw and was pretty fed up after spending his week off work making me a coop - I thought it wise not to push it too much; or he might tell me exactly where I could put my windows!
hide.gif

Let me know what you think - All I need now are the chickens!

Last edited:
Very nice job and I like the style. I would get some light in there. You'll get more eggs in the winter.

Make sure you lock the birds up at night since that wire won't keep preditors out.

Be sure to share pictures of the chickens in their new home.

Thanks for the advice sweetcheeks
thumbsup.gif
I will deffo put more windows in when I can. And they will be securely locked up at night for peace of mind.

Just looking at my top roost and wondering if it is too high off the ground? Will they need a ladder or something to get up there? I think it is just over a foot n a half off the floor...

I can't wait to watch the chickens in there tomorrow to see how they use the space n see if anything needs changing. I hope it will be ok....
idunno.gif

BRILLIANT!
My 2cents(or p as I think your a Brit?!) is to put hardware cloth(rat wire in the states) along where the vents are on the top of your coop. But aside from that .....BRILLIANT! enjoy your chixs!

good job, I dont think you will need a ladder for them to get up to the roost. you may have to put them up there for awhile untill they get the idea though.

My chickens have perching boards at 3 ft high and one a little over 5 ft high. They have NO problem flying right up to them, and prefer the higher perch. The boss hen is ALWAYS at the top perch.
I think it's a great looking coop. My hunny and some friends are building me two new ones while I recuperate from a recent surgery. Will try and post some pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom