First coop, first thoughts?

EvansCedarBeehives

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
So we made a coop for backyard/urban rooftops. Here are some shots. Atlantic White Cedar with luan (plywood) interior. Windows will be added for light and air.
Thoughts?
AcKQaI8CEAIZbIG.jpg

AcKQfnbCQAAemab.jpg

Rob Evans
www.evanscedarbeehives.com

That is beautiful! Natural wood is so lovely.

Have you thought about nesting boxes?

Oh - I also read on this site that round perches are outgrown. Roosts are generally flat - maybe 3 or 4 inches wide.

Oh - and ventilation. What sort of ventilation do you have? They need air even more than warmth.

We need more pictures.
pop.gif

Last edited:
Two windows will be cut in to the sides for light an ventilation.

Roosts will be changed according to popular demand, so I think we may go with what you suggested. Thanks for the input!

We haven't got a price down yet, but we already know this is out "top end" model, and we are looking for a "budget" model and that plan you are building was actually the type of design we were considering!

External roosting boxes will save a ton of room air slats on each gable end. You could put water nipples through a drilled hole and mount the water on the outside to save room or Fowl Stuff http://fowlstuff.com/Products.html has nests to bolt on. I like the way the whole side drops down for easy access.

Nice. Are you going to paint or clear coat? It sure is pretty, ya think.
thumbsup.gif
Nice

Steve- I agree the external boxes would save room, but the basic platform for the coop is going to be used for a goat house among other things so it's a matter of efficiency for us. As long as the chickens are happy, we're happy.

There are three nesting boxes inside.

Last edited:
Quote:
I like the Fowl Stuff...er...STUFF! But there is no easy way to get in to get the eggs in the case of our coop.

There really is no reason to paint or clear coat the white cedar at all. A more natural coop!

Back
Top Bottom