First coop info needed.

Appalachian

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
southeast Tenn.
Gonna put together my first coop, other than nesting boxes,a place to roost & a run, what should I take into consideration before I start put'n it all together ??

Thanks in advance.

Make certain that you provide plenty of ventilation. Also, it is a good thing to have doors that allow you access to all parts of the coop for cleaning.

Make it twice the size as you planned as chickens are addicting! Tile linoleum ...poop trays under the roosts, outside access to nesting boxes, lots of windows...:)

Make it as easy to clean as you possibly can e.g. raise floor of coop area, poop trays. Things that open out, drop down, are a good height for you etc. Make the run walk-in if you can - if cleaning is easy you'll do it often and it really helps keep them happy and healthy.

A covered area in the run - depending on your climate you may need this for shade or rain protection.

Find out what predators are likely in your area and design round protecting against them. If they will dig then bury the walls of wire etc deep down in the ground. Or go under the floor with more vermin proof wire. We did this and it's worth it for peace of mind. If it's flying predators such as hawks then a firm, permanent roof to the run as well as the coop.

Final idea - see what you can recycle from other projects or from cheap salvage yards or whatever. Then you can spend what you need to to get the best wire netting you can buy. Here in Australia, that is snake and mice repellent level. Expensive but we got timber and the iron roofing for free, so it overall made it affordable.

Good luck!

Good points.. I love my covered run and my chickens are never dirty all year round.. Check out my coop in my profile pics if you want... :)

Back
Top Bottom