First coop. Need help with nestbox size and roost height

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
We've got the coop built but have not put in the roosts or nest boxes. For our laying flock of 10-12 we are planning 3-4 nest boxes, but aren't sure of proper size or the height to place them at. I've heard 12"x12" for box size. Is that right? How high up do I hang them? And how high do we put the roosts? Oh, lastly we plan to keep two roos. Can the roos bunk with the hens, or do we need to portion off an area of the coop just for them?

I have 4 nesting boxes, I made them from two 24 x 24 wooden boxes I had. I divided them in half and put a small 4 inch board on the front of them and set them on the floor. Then I placed my roosting bar about 4 or 5 inches above them with a board under the roost to catch the droppings, Between the roosting bar and the board I placed a piece of chicken wire to catch any eggs laid on the roost and I'm glad I did because there has been a few eggs laid at night but that is the exception not the norm for me. When I had a rooster I let him roost with the hens and he did just fine , he was a banty and they are full sized hens and all I could see of him was his head sticky out between them!!

12x12 is perfect....the roos can be in there with the gals, mine are, and have been since they were little. They like to snuggle up too! The nest boxes should be about 12 to 18 inches off the floor....and pretty much the same for the roost. you may want to make several roost...just not over each other, might get messy, LOL I wouldnt want to roost on the lower one! Ewwww.

How about if I angled the roosts in like a ladder-type thing so they can have a few different to choose from? That way nobody should get pooed on....eeeww
tongue.png
If I wanted a ladder type roost thing how far apart should I put the 'rungs' so they can get from one to another?

Back
Top Bottom