First Coop - Officially addicted

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gsnake35, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Gsnake35

Gsnake35 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Missouri
    My better half wanted chickens so I went to the web in search of ideas (first time having chickens for both of us) which brought me here - wealth of knowledge i have gained. We have eleven 9 week old birds now that have just spent their first couple nights in their new coop. The utility shed was already on the property so we made that the coop and built the run. Please feel free to add any input!

It's amazing how addicting this has become not just for my better half but for me as well. Already decided to make changes which will happen this weekend! Some things i need to do - make the ramp to roosts not as steep and add more cleats. Change from vertical nipples to HN nipples. Feel free to add anything else! Thanks again for all you sharing stories and the do's/don'ts!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You can make your ramp less steep just by placing a block of wood under the ground end of it. If you notice your young birds sleeping in the nesting boxes, you'll want to block them off until they get closer to laying age (they will make a poopy mess in the boxes if they sleep there).

Glad you are enjoying the chickens!

1 person likes this.
  3. Gsnake35

Feb 4, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks North - that's a good idea with the wood under the ramp.

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I know it works because we had to lower the steepness of our ramp too...the block of wood did the trick! Live and learn, right?

5. Gsnake35

Feb 4, 2016
    Missouri
    It's amazing when you think you are done you just keep tweaking things! question for you experience BYC's - i know my chickens are far from laying age but i was wondering if the step i have for them to eventually jump into the nest box is too high (see pic in first post)? Right now at 9 weeks not one has been on it yet which i thought they might do to roost. It is approximately 14 inches high from the bedding - when it's time for them to lay should i make a ramp instead? i have set a couple on it but they just fly down...thoughts??

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Op, looking good[​IMG]. No need to worry about a few inches here and there. Keep observing and be flexible to tweak to your liking. Soon you will be giving newbies your experience.

One thing, your winter is mild?

7. Gsnake35

Feb 4, 2016
    Missouri
    i am in Mid Missouri - our winters have quite a bit of fluctuation but nothing terrible. We have been in the low 20's in the evenings and supposed to be low teens next week. I am contemplating removing the 125 watt bulb in their coop but might wait till after this cold spell. they haven't seen a day without a lamp yet.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    TweakingTweakingTweakingTweaking....yep it can go on and on....I find that part fun tho.

Perch for nests should actually be higher, same level as bottom of nests, so they can fly up and take a look before stepping into nest.
    You're also gong to want to put a lip (~4" high) on front of nests or they'll just scratch anything in the nest(bedding, eggs) onto the floor.

Concrete block(tall ways) under end of ramp.

Oh and they don't need that heat lamp anymore.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  9. Gsnake35

Feb 4, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advice aart! i appreciate it. you were right about the heat lamp. Took that out 2 nights ago and last night got down to 19 degrees. This morning they were happy as any other morning with no issues. Tough birds for sure. I will make the adjustments for the nest boxes. I appreciate it.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Looks great! I wish I'd have had that good a start. The only thing I would suggest is that you cover the nest boxes for now. They're relatively new out there now, but it won't take any time at all before they decide that those nests look like a wonderful place to sleep.....not a good habit to let them get into. So I'd cover them until they are either very close to point of lay, or you find that first egg on the floor of the coop or run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by