First coop pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Agilityscots, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hello everyone! Here are my first coop pictures! DH is just about done framing. Please note the super-cool "wood" flooring; he got a linoleum remnant for $20 today at Home Depot. Only the best for my girls. :) You can also see that one of my Scotties is also hanging around, trying his best to help (or clean up any potato chip crumbs that might fall his way). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickensrme

chickensrme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2007
    Maine
    that looks like a good start what do u plane on doing for the roof

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that looks sturdy! I built mine about the same way (based it on a shed that my brother had built) and about the same size. I now kinda regret making it so strong as it weighs a TON.

Keep us posted with lots of pics as it developes. Also, don't forget to always have that floor covered with shavings or something else... it looks very slippery.

Good job!

4. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Chickensrme,

My husband is building a peaked roof that will be 3 feet tall at its highest point. It will be a very steep pitch, but it allows me to step inside from the back to clean it out. He's going to put a small door on the back for me to step into it. We had originally wanted to do a hinged roof for cleanout, but it was too tall to make that practical. I like the idea of a door that I can step inside much better! The feeder/waterer will be just inside the door, to make refilling easier.

NiftyChicken, yes, it is very sturdy! [​IMG] Let's just say that DH is having a good time building it, and I know this will NOT be a portable coop! The floor will always be covered with pine shavings and chopped hay; I got the idea for linoleum from someone on here (can't remember who) because it makes cleanup a lot easier. Also prevents chicken poo/urine from soaking into the plywood and creating for a permanent stink...at least, that's the theory. We'll see!

Amy

5. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    very nice construction. tell your husband nice work!

6. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thanks, Boise! I will tell him; he is not the gloating type, but I can tell he's very pleased with the progress so far. We're enjoying this project together, which is a bit of a surprise, since it has serious Desire-to-Kill-Each-Other Potential. [​IMG]

Amy

7. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    YEAH Amy!!!

Looks great so far!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    looking good [​IMG]

9. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Love those Scotties! Do you raise them?

10. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Finch,

Yes, I do breed Scotties, but only occasionally; my dogs are all show dogs as well as my pets. I show them in conformation (the "beauty pageant" type of showing, like what Westminster is) as well as agility, obedience, earthdog and rally obedience. The two dogs on the left in my little avatar picture are champions who also have obedience and agility titles. The dog on the far right has 17 different agility, obedience and rally obedience titles. They're good little dogs.

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by