First Coop Project!! Few Questionnss.!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bocephus_the_rooster, May 30, 2010.

1. bocephus_the_rooster

bocephus_the_rooster Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    OK - so i started my coop today! i just build the frame until i can get the plywood then ill brace it etc. I have 10 RIR hens that are just a little over three weeks old. the coop dimensions are 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and the floor is 2 feet off the ground.

[​IMG]

I'm sure i'll have a bunch of questions as i go along, but my first one is does the nest boxes have to be off the floor? i know the roosts have to be higher than the boxes, but how high do the nest boxes have to be from the floor?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:My nest boxes are built out (saves floor space) and are level with the floor of the coop as seen here on the right, behind he curtains:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Welcome and good luck with your coop!

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. bocephus_the_rooster

May 9, 2010
    ok i see, thats how me and my pop were thinking about doing it. what is holding the nest boxes up though and how are you bracing it to the inside of the coop? also, the curtains, are they for decoration or do they actually help? [​IMG] i'm new haha

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:We bought our coop, we didn't build it, so I have no idea how these things work. I assure you there is LOTS of information on BYC available from people who have built these though, they're pretty common. Here's what our coop looks like from the outside: [​IMG]

I put the curtains on the nest boxes because I read that hens like it dark and private when they're laying eggs. I have found this to be true. I had burlap on the front of the nest boxes previously, which wasn't that sturdy a material and it got torn off two of the six nest boxes. The girls would NOT lay eggs in those boxes until I put new curtains up! Strange but true.

5. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    Just make you have enough space for the birds. From what I have read and made sure I was OK myself, a fully grown chicken needs approximately 4 sqft of space per bird (4 x 10 RIR=40sqft). I made my coop like the red one above but I stick built it and it is 8x10 with my nest boxes attached to the outside. It will make it easier getting to the eggs with the lid/roof design.

6. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Our current coop is the exact same dimensions, just taller. We used the same reference as mentioned above (4 sq ft per bird) and thought we would be just about right with the 8 NH Reds we started out with. This proved to be pretty tight especially once we had the hanging feeder and water in there. I would definitely build the nesting boxes out and I think floor would be OK as long as they are below the roosts as you said.
    Good luck with your coop! We are currently underconstruction on our second coop since we have added 12 new chicks to our flock!

7. bocephus_the_rooster

May 9, 2010
    Cool! lemme know how it comes along : )

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have cute chicken print curtains in my coop as well....I like the way it looks when I come into the coop each morning...quite cheery and somehow I think my girls are pleased too..

9. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Bocephus: Unless you're planning to leave your coop in the drive way, do not put up another board. Your next step is to get some guys together and move your coop to its final destination. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out how to move your completed and HEAVY coop to where you want it...

Just a thought!

10. bocephus_the_rooster

May 9, 2010
    ahhh yess good idea i definately will : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by