First coop, redneck design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jim11, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Jim11

Jim11 New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Hello,

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]For my first venture into backyard chickens, I wanted to start as small and easy as possible. (cheap and lazy [/FONT]LOL[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]). With the help of a great friend, we used a old dog crate ($25) and a utility box from Lowe's ($89 after a discount). Scrap wood for the ramp and nest box separator. One of my wife's plastic utility boxes for the actual nest box (will pay for this later). [/FONT]

The crate is 54" x 36" x 45" tall, hole cut for the utility box at one end:
    [​IMG]

Utility box is roughly 22" x 37" x 24" tall, perch and nest box (no wood chips yet) inside:
    [​IMG]

Not shown are the bungee straps used to secure the box to the crate, or any of the feed and water containers.

This coop is designed for 2 hens and to be slightly mobile, not full tractor mobile, but can be moved occasionally without major effort.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Comments and [/FONT]criticisms[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif] are greatly welcomed. [/FONT]

Thanks for viewing.
    -jim

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Looks like a good winter coop arrangement, but that box will roast the chickens come summer.

3. Jim11

Jim11 New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    You are correct, and I prefer them fried. (JUST KIDDING! LOL). I plan to put a wire cover over the top that will allow me to prop up the lid at whatever angle is needed.

Thanks for you comment.
    -jim

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would get rid of the inside ramp and give them a little more room. maybe even the outside one too once they get big enough.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    looks great, but you might want to expand..... people tend to get chickenphilia around here [​IMG]

(philia = love, friendship therefore chickenphilia = love of chickens)

6. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I'm not sure about this one. your feed and water will be outside? I don't see any protection for that. the mice and rats can get in it as well as the rain. I don't see any top ventilation in the coop. I hope it works out for you.

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I agree about removing the ladders. Even young chicks can jump pretty high - and without the ladders, they'll have more room. You can always cut holes in the sides of the coop and cover the holes with hardware cloth to provide more ventilation. I agree also that mice, rats and small rodents can get through the wire.

I think you are creative to use inexpensive materials and things you already had to make your coop. And you can always expand if you want to get more chickens later.

8. Jim11

Jim11 New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Thank you all for the replies.

You can't see in the pic, but the box has 5 holes drilled under each handle on the side. Drilled under the handle to help prevent water from entering and to make it easier to cover as needed, so I do have a little side ventilation from that.

I wasn't sure on the ladder, but it sounds like I can remove that and they will still be able to go in/out easily. I can always add it back if needed.

On the food/water, I've seen pics of the food/water outside of the box, is that not common?

Thanks again for all the comments, very much appreciated!
    -jim

9. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    A piece of wood on top of the crate would give shade and rain protection...might need something heavy on top so it doesn't blow away.

10. Great idea. I was thinking a perch with shade so they can get out of the sun when they want to....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by