First coop.

briank3201991

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2016
North Carolina
Me and my soon to be wife are looking at raising some chickens, but we are lost at whre to start with building a coop. We know that we are going to end up wanting a lot of chickens down the road so dont want to start off with a small coop. We plan on starting off with 6 or so but most certainly want around 20 or so chickens and dont want to have multiple coops right away. I am not really good with building or just coming up with ideas on how to build one. If anyone could please point me in the right direction to build a simple coop that could accomidate atleast 20 chickens. It does not have to be fancy. Just plain jane is fine for right now. Also would like to get the material and start building this weekend if possible. Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome to BYC! When we first got our chicks I spent w a y too much time looking through the COOP section of this forum. We ended up repurposing a shed we had on the property for the coop and added a run, it has served us well.

See COOPS up in the heading? Check it out.

Me and my soon to be wife are looking at raising some chickens, but we are lost at whre to start with building a coop. We know that we are going to end up wanting a lot of chickens down the road so dont want to start off with a small coop. We plan on starting off with 6 or so but most certainly want around 20 or so chickens and dont want to have multiple coops right away. I am not really good with building or just coming up with ideas on how to build one. If anyone could please point me in the right direction to build a simple coop that could accomidate atleast 20 chickens. It does not have to be fancy. Just plain jane is fine for right now. Also would like to get the material and start building this weekend if possible. Thank you in advance for your help.
I strongly suggest you spend more time researching before buying materials and starting to build.
There's lots to consider if you don't want to end up redoing things.
Your climate can play a big role...read the articles linked in my signature on Space and Ventilation.

Build or buy(if you're not good at building and don't have the right tools to learn) a basic shed at least 10' x 10' in size.

I too am a great fan of sheds - very easy to modify and change with your inevitable flock growth!

CT

Yeah we are going to look at sheds in a couple hours. Either 8x12 or bigger we are thinking. Best idea to me. Plus adding the perch and nest boxes shouldn't prove to be to hard. Still gonna research more on what all I will have to do to the shed before the chickens get there.

Yeah we are going to look at sheds in a couple hours. Either 8x12 or bigger we are thinking. Best idea to me. Plus adding the perch and nest boxes shouldn't prove to be to hard. Still gonna research more on what all I will have to do to the shed before the chickens get there.
In looking at sheds, ventilation will be the most important aspect......
.......many premade and kit sheds have no roof overhang which is the best place to achieve large ventilation area up high and out of the 'weather'.

Wooden sheds are best as they are easier to modify/add to.... rather than metal which is much trickier.

I just went and looked at some sheds and have one coming next week. I will get pictures up of it as soon as it gets here and is set up. Then maybe yall could help me with any changes i might need to make to ir. Or any ideas for setting it up. You all seem like a helpful bunch and i am exited to be part of the group and to start raising some chickens.

So the shed/coop was delivered yesterday. So exited. Started getting a few things done and purchased a bit of lumber to start building on the inside. Here is a few pictures so far.

This was before and after. Only had a hour before it got dark after work to get started. This shelf I am building by the window will be the ledge they come into the coop from. They will be using the window as a entrance and exit. The window will be opened in the morning and shut at night. Also the bottom half of the shelf a foot and a half off the ground is going to be where their nesting boxes will be. Then building 4 roosting spots about 10: in length. 2 on both walls. Will post more as I complete it.

Back
Top Bottom