First crow, 6w6d old! It was SO cute!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossanne, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got a box of bantam cochin cockerels and a box of barred rock cockerels, all will be 7 weeks tomorrow. I heard two of them crowing this morning, it was the funniest sound I've ever heard! The BR's crow was bigger than the cochins, but it was like they were calling back and forth to each other!

I am NOT looking forward to 19 of them crowing in my house though... MUST BUILD A COOP!

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Aww, I bet it was so cute to hear that. They ae awful young to be crowing arn't they? I wish mine would crow that early, I have a terrible time sexing them.

3. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've never had one crow this early, and always hoped I would. The kids and I just sat and listened while they went at it.

My BR's I know are cockerels, as they're packing peanuts and all are lighter than BR pullets.

My cochins are easy to tell cockerels from pullets so far, I think. The cockerels have really red, large combs and wattles already. The pullets have small, pinkish-yellow ones. I've got 5 of each. [​IMG]

4. greenapple

greenapple Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Central Florida
    my cochins bantams did that this time too, the two males had a recognizable crow at 6 weeks, but my cornish bantams did achieve that until 8 weeks

5. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    At what age do they start to crow?

6. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had sex-link roosters that crowed about 12 weeks. I currently have a polish and a hamburg who started about 16 or 17 weeks. These babies have been my earliest, at almost 7 weeks. But I've heard of people having 2wk old chicks trying to crow in their brooders.

7. CackleFan

CackleFan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My buttercup roosters started crow at exactly 6 weeks where they were still in the spare bedroom next to my master bedroom (I kept them inside because it was cold and the coop was under contruction at that time). I basically woke up by them. Two buttercups took turns to crow and it is very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by