First crow at 14 weeks...and haven't heard it again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenacre, Sep 8, 2007.

1. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    OK...I am new to chickens and really don't know much at all about roosters. Our frizzle cochin bantam crowed 3 times in a row the other morning (we thought he was a girl all this time), and we have heard nothing before that and nothing since. We have 3 chicken cameras set up so I see and hear everything. Our dominant hen "dominates" over him all the time (a big girl Australorp) and pecks at him, chases him, etc. None of our 5 girls like him at all. Is this all normal? Will he start to crow more? I tried posting to get rid of him "free" and I have no takers, so I am trying to see how long I have before he starts really belting it out. Help! [​IMG]
  2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, My young roo started then stopped crowing just as I added a pedigree stud rooster to my flock.
    Then when I placed him on his own away from the big roo he started to crow again. I would say that your bossy hen is putting him in his place.
  3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    What do you have for a chicken camera? I would like to add a cam to the coop. Any link that anyone can offer? I dont even know where to begin looking for the right type for this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by