1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

First crow sounds like...a HONK?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahandbray, Oct 6, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Songster

Aug 12, 2014
    I swear I have a rooster/goose hybrid!! Chickens are 7-weeks-old today and I SWEAR one of my Dixie Rainbow boys let out a really awkward HONK! I think I have a goose instead of a Roo!!
    Is this a normal first crow?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I can see where the first couple of crows can sound kind of weird but normally as they mature more they'll get it better. One of mine is 4 years old and sounds like it's screaming.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser 9 Years

May 19, 2009
    Ha ha ha ha !! [​IMG]
    That's hysterical! My little cockerels sound like strangled cats when they start to crow.
    More like a choking croak! [​IMG] . It gets better as they get older until they get that lusty crow ! [​IMG]
    Best,
    Karen

4. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Songster

Aug 12, 2014
    Yup...definitely not a fluke...another CROAK again today...reminds me of the freshmen boys that I teach while their voices change! Too funny!! I really should tape this "noise"--it's such a crazy sound!

Easy to remember their first crow, though--exactly 7-weeks-old to the day!

Sarah

5. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Songster

Aug 12, 2014
    Located the culprit!! Full on crow today--one of my Brown Leghorns!! Sounding much better--like a real "Cock-A-Doodle-Doo!"
    (Considering I still have 43 straight-run chicks, I have a feeling this might get old really quickly! But for now it's SO COOL!)

6. SouthHouse

SouthHouse In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Ha ha - I know exactly what you're talking about. Ours did the same thing. It takes them a few weeks but eventually, with practice, he'll have a strong healthy crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: