First crow, yay!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AKsmama, Sep 6, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I went out about 7 a.m. to let the gang out of the coop into the run. I guess Casper, our silver Lakenvelder, was pretty excited because he crowed 3 times! The first two times was before I got the pop door open, so I didn't know who did it, but the third time he let loose in front of me. It was more of a "cock-a-erk," and deeper than I expected, but it was for sure a crow. They're all just over 8 weeks old. I am excited! [​IMG] There's no noise ordinance out here, and there's a full grown rooster somewhere down the road, so he could have just decided today was the day to compete with him. Now we'll see who's next- we've got 4 more cockerels!

2. Hockeymom9

Hockeymom9 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    Dresden,Ontario,Canada
    Congratulations!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Aww what a good boy!! I can't wait until I can have a rooster! I love their crows [​IMG]

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I wish you had a recording of it. I'm waiting for mine to crow, but I'm not quite sure what to expect. There's nothing better to wake up to than a rooster's crow!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My youngest rooster, Nugget - a bantam Cochin, crowed from inside the youngsters' coop the other day. He hasn't crowed since. I think he just wanted me to get my rear out there and let 'em all out.

Reminds me of the special kid that doesn't speak for until he's 10 years old, and when he does, it's in a full sentence: "This food tastes funny." Oh, my god, say his parents, you've never spoken before! Why not?? Why now??

And the child says, "Up 'til now, everything's been okay."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by