First Crow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by popeyesgal, Aug 3, 2010.

1. popeyesgal

popeyesgal Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    I got to hear my 11 week old BR roos crow for the first time. We were up early (5 a.m.) and heard both of them. One was a little strangled sounding, but both certainly crowed. Now, I can't wait for my 33 pullets to begin laying!!!

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] yay congratulations

3. krobin04

krobin04 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    isn't it one of the sweetest sounds? I love to stand in the yard and listen to them try to be Big Boys!!! We have 14 wk olds. who try to be like the yr old roos. So funny.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    My first roo(he's passed away) started crowing at 8 weeks.

5. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I love listening to mine try to crow, it always puts a smile on my face, he is about 3 and a hlaf month old(roo the rockstar-he is my avatar)and learning , i keep saying to him, god love ya you are getting it, hehe,

6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    My WC Polish roo has let out a few "rusty door hinge" crows so far. He's 10 weeks old now. The funniest thing to watch is when he gets into the crowing pose- way up on his tippy toes, wings back, neck stretched out, does the bounce-bounce thing as he opens his beak as wide as he can- and nothing comes out! Pure silence! I laugh at him. Can't help it- he looks so funny. Not that I would argue about having a quiet rooster, mind you. [​IMG]

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    My two 4 month old silkies gave their first crow this week too! It is so cute to watch them!

8. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    That is my one regret about living in a city - I can't have roos [​IMG] I love how they sound, and 1 or 2 roos (IMHO) are not obnoxiously loud for the neighbors. However, we've already had a neighbor try to keep a bantam roo and she has some complaints. That makes me a sad panda [​IMG]

-CG

9. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:I have a 7 week Polish that does the same thing. He's supposed to be a pullet. [​IMG]

It's literally, NO SOUND. He (it) acts like a rooster, but filled out much faster than the other polish, and roos are supposed to fill out more slowly.

He or She at least thinks it's a rooster, from the silent movie days.

10. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    My 5 week old RIR SLP mix started to crow a few days ago. You no that pathetic rusty hinge sound. His dad didn't start crowing until he was 3 months old. I think he started early because he learned by listening to his dad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by