first crowing- FUNNY!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fzouk, May 12, 2009.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    Hey! I just had to share that my 7 week old roosters started crowing today- ALL of them! I have never heard them crow before but tonight when I went to check on them they were all doing it! Well... sort of. [​IMG] They need a little practice but they were sure giving it their best shot! All puffed up, too- I was cracking up!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Frances

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    AWWWWWW that is one of my favorite sounds!! It is so sweet to see them all proud and sounding like a dying, rusty door!!!! Congrats!!!

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Very cute, I wonder when my cockerels will try crowing, they are already 12 weeks old! Haven't heard a single try yet.

4. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That is funny, they sound like they have a sore throat or something!! [​IMG]

5. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I heard my husband's rooster crow for the first time yesterday. He was at work, so he asked me what he sounded like. My answer was that he sounded like someone was trying to choke him to death while he crowed. It was cute, but needs some work. I told him he was just practicing right now! [​IMG]

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Isn't it so sweet! I love it. I think they sound like a kazoo. hehe [​IMG]

7. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    hahahaha- those descriptions are making me laugh! I had heard people try to describe the sound of early crowing attempts but couldn't really imagine it until now. Rusty doors, choking to death, sore throats- those ALL are pretty accurate! [​IMG] Oh yes- a kazoo- that is a good way to put it!

I tried to get a video of them but by the time I came back with the camera they were done performing. I'll try again tomorrow. Is there a way to post videos on this site if I do manage to catch them in the act?

Frances

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I wish I could have caught ours crowing on video, but I have only heard him do it once. My husband's friend has 2 roosters the same age that were actually shipped with this one from the hatchery and they haven't crowed yet, so I feel like I need "proof." [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. desertcat

desertcat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Amarillo
    My baby banty roo tried his first crow this morning while I was working with the horses. Took me a minute to figure out that the horrid screeching was...and then I got the giggles because, like all teenage boys, his voice kept cracking! He looked sooo proud of himself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by