1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First crows ... and I MISSED them!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Aug 25, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    [​IMG]

Ok, I want to whine here!

Two days ago, my daughter said she heard a crow coming from the coop that sounded like a squeaky toy being stepped on. At least she THOUGHT it might be a crow.

I haven't heard anything yet. I've even been "encouraging" them.

And this afternoon, my friend who was "chicken-sitting" told me that HE heard a crow coming from out there, a perfectly good normal-rooster-crow.

Two crows now, and I haven't heard one yet.

I'm jealous!!!

Guess I oughta just move everything out to the coop and sit there and wait until I get to hear it ... [​IMG]

Thanks for letting me whine!

trish

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Yeah, those first crows sound terrific.....unless you are trying to hide the boys and girls from the neighbors. [​IMG]

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Goodegg,
    I hope you get to hear the roo crow soon. I thought I was the only crazy one trying to encourage my roo to crow. He sounded really sick with the first try. It scared my daughter, she didn't know what was making the strange sound. After a few weeks he's well oiled machine and crowing all the time whenever his little heart desires.

Where do you live in NW Fla? I grew up there.

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    I was so stoked to hear my roo crow a few days ago....now i am wishing he would just shut up occasionally...nice sound, just too freakin often. He isnt loud enough to disturb the neighbours which is good but man he just crows one after the other over and again.

5. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Yep! I agree! I couldn't wait to hear mine crow. It still tickles me to hear him throughout the day. If he has crowed early before NOW, I haven't heard him. But this morning it was 5:45 am. I couldn't go back to sleep. He's crowing again right now. I am not a morning person at all. I'll have to ask my neighbors if it's bothering them. I asked a few weeks ago, but they said they haven't heard him yet. I bet they did this morning.

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Smitty,
    Ask them quick before they are tired of him. [​IMG]

7. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Birdbrain,
    He finally quit crowing. No way am I going to ask them right now.
    I'm to scared! Just kidding! They knew we were getting them and they almost went in on the order. I live on about 6 acres and I put my coop on the otherside of the property away from their house. OH MY GOSH!!!!! He's started again! I will have to call them this afternoon. Maybe I'll bake brownies and bring them over to makeup for the lack of eggs.

8. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hey Goodegg,
    Did you hear him crow yet?

9. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    Smitty...i am in the same boat...we have 5.5acres or thereabouts and Im worried bout the neighbours too...although my rooster is definitely not loud enough to wake even us up and the neighbours are a good 200-300feet away.

10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    aran,
    Do you know your neighbors very well? I guess my roo started crowing 2 or 3 wks ago. It wasn't everyday at first, but now it's several times a day. I knew that it was on ole wives tale that they only crow at the crack of dawn, but had not idea it would be this much. So far I don't mind it, but I'll keep u posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by