first cuckoo eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ga_goat, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    got my first 2 cuckoo marana eggs yesterday and today , nothing else in the pen 4 hens and 1 roo , they are small ( expected from pullets ) but they are a very light tan not even what I would call brown ,, is this normal at first ???

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Are they hatchery ones? Mine are 20 weeks and I got my first eggs one little one normal I have 6 from MM one though is a golden the little egg is light but the other one isn't too bad

[​IMG]

and my birds have pretty pink legs some of the hens have a smokey haze on the front so they are better looking than my Cackle ones their legs are pretty dark and the ones I hatched out from breeders came out of dark eggs and have very pink or white legs....

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    My hatchery hens laid some light eggs. They got a little darker as the time went by. Where did you get yours from?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Bernadette is my Cuckoo Marans and her eggs got darker after a while. Went from tan to nice dark brown; not as brown as the Welsummer's eggs, but still nicely dark brown.

5. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I got mine at a local auction there was a man selling off all of his recently late wife's chickens and there was over 100 of this breed sold he split them up into lots from 40 down to 5 , I got 1 lot of 10 , traded a few amd lost some of them ,, he knew nothing of how to tend to them and they were in pretty bad shape , but the ones I have left look great now , they were hatched in late Jan 2010 . guess I should have gotten a trio of the grown ones that had eggs in the cage when sold and they were really dark .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by