First day at BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by busymadre, Jan 22, 2013.

1. busymadre

busymadre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Hickory, NC
    Hello everyone!

I have been reading through many areas in BYC and finally decided it was time to officially join. I had raised chickens years ago when we lived in upstate NY and my children were young, but never really did much education. Kinda just flew by the seat of my pants. Although we had plenty of eggs and the girls were healthy, it was very messy and time consuming to keep up with. I was a stay at home mom back then, so it never bothered me and I just didn't know any better.

We are now in NC, moved into a home of our own again and ready to do it the right way. While my friend is building the chicken coop and I am waiting for my chicks to arrive (ordered 6 from a small farmer we know at our church), I have been surfing around on many sights to make sure I am ready this time around.

I have already gotten a load of good advice and think I am ready, but still continuing to read up on the best and easiest way to keep my chicks happy and healthy. I still work full time so easy is the key:)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, busymadre, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I wish you the best of luck on your second go around with chickens! BYC will be here to help you out along the way! Have fun and enjoy!!

3. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Welcome!! Your story is just what my parents did. If they ever go back into chickens again, they'll definitely do more research instead of winging it. This time around we're enjoying our time with geese!! There's so much to read on here, you'll be a pro in no time!!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check out the forums, ask questions and you will be more than ready for your new flock. Welcome to BYC.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC.

9. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hello [​IMG] hope you enjoy the new chicks and there is so much info. about making it less work and more "FUN"[​IMG]

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by