1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First day free-ranging outside the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by larsonll, Oct 2, 2011.

1. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Today was the big day!

I've been hesitant to let my chickens roam in my backyard in the city out of concern for overhead predators. My eldest daughter, who is 8 years old, reminded me that I have prepared them again and again for chicken loss, so we went for it.

My chickens are just over 2 months old and in a tractor ark. Today, we had a beautiful, windy, and cool day here in GA...my daughters have been sad ever since we moved the chicks to the coop at 5 weeks since they were unable to just pick them up. Those tractor arks just don't allow for that so easily at all.

After many days of "Mom, can we just take one out and hold it?" I decided we'd let the girls + 1 roo who hasn't crowed yet to venture outside this afternoon. They loved it! I mean the chickens and my daughters. I kept a watchful eye on the sky...we live in the city with a fenced in back yard, so the only predator would be a hawk.

The chickens stayed close to the ark and I was able to clean out the roost area without any visitors. We have not picked up the chickens in 3 weeks, but they were very tolerable of my daughters doing so. Of course, we have been hand feeding them through their run!

Some are really starting to make noises that really sound like clucks rather than peeps, so that was very entertaining. My girls are growing up. Sniff [​IMG]

2. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    wow and i thought i was an overprotective dad. my girls just got their first trip out of coop at 4.5 weeks. it was raining here in anchorage alaska and about 46 degrees an the little ladies all had a blast picking at the green lawn i mowed last night, hopefully for the last time this year. we have already had killing frost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by