1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First day in the big-girl coop. (picture added!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CutestChickenFarmer, Aug 2, 2007.

1. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    It was getting ridiculous, having these chickens (as quickly as they were growing, it seems silly to keep calling them 'chicks') on my dining room table. I'd gotten some chicken wire to reinforce the bottom of the chain-link kennel yesterday, and after I got home from work (I blew off class tonight to hang with the chickens!), I put them all out in their big girl coop. To soften the blow, I put in half a summer squash, which took their mind off any separation anxiety for the time being. Around 7:30, I let them out and sat with them as they checked out their pen (the inside of the kennel). Goofy birds, just wanted to smash themselves into one corner and roll around in the dirt! After about 45 minutes, I put them back in the coop and locked them in for the night. I will be spending the rest of the evening, trying to get my house back in some kind of order!

I'm gonna miss coming downstairs in the morning to the happy little cheeping sounds, but it was high time for them to make the move.

Thanks, everybody, for all the support and good advice.

Susan

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I went through the same thing with my little girls! It was a happy, yet sad day when i moved them out of the living room!
    My babies are going to be 5 months old in a couple of weeks. I can't believe how fast they grow!!! They now enjoy every bit of being out in the yard chasing bugs and eating from the garden. They will still come and sit by the door, but I think it is because they know when I come out, I bring them treats!

I see you are from Delaware!!! I am too!!! I haven't seen anyone else here from De. I live in North Dover....kind of between Cheswold and Hartly. It is god to know I am not the only chicken lover around here!!! [​IMG]

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Susan,

How old are they again? Watch them closely when you first leave them unattended. I thought mine were too big to get through the chicken wire, but they managed to squeeze through.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I know what ya mean.. Last spring I had chicks & that following winter I bought some more chics [​IMG] Never get chics in the winter !! That was too much.
    It's good to get them out, better for them but it's hard for us. They grow up way too fast.

5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Wow already! Aren't yours just a week or so older than mine?

I know how you feel. I'll be ready to get that big dog kennel out of my living room too. They are starting to freak out my dog, and they kick pine shavings all over the place! They need another couple of weeks of feather growth though I think.

6. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    [​IMG]

Here they are, being distracted by a summer squash!

I made sure to get the chicken wire that was 1" instead of the 2". Especially with the Silkie Bantam, she's such a little peanut. In fact, you can't even see her in this picture; she's behind one of the bigger girls.

I was so nervous about putting them out, but they're having a ball. Debby, however (the Delaware with the darker feathers) kept trying to come to me while I was taking pictures. That I am more enticing than a cool snack on a hot day made me feel so loved! They may be in their big-girl coop now, but I guess I'm still 'mom.' [​IMG]

Susan

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    how cute!! is that bridget back there? my how shes grown! good luck and keep us updated!

8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    That does it - I'm gonna cut a squash in half like that this PM when I get home and see if my girls will eat it. When I've just tossed in discs, they've shown no interest at all!

9. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    They really like the old squash, the kind that have sort of 'gone to seed' inside. That's the first thing they go for, the seeds.

I do think that 'shape' seems to have a lot to do with what my girls like. For instance, they *love* cooked oatmeal, but if I give them Cheerios soaked in water and smooshed up, they take a look and then pretend it's not even there.

This morning, they literally attacked me to get to the squash. [​IMG] My first thought was that they were happy to see me. Nope, just happy to see the squash.

Susan

10. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    [​IMG]

Rosy, here is a picture of Brigitte Bardot taken this morning. My bulldog came close to the kennel for a sniff, and she ran at her, flapping and sticking her neck out, and the bulldog ran like hell. Ha!

Here's a picture of the bulldog in question:
    [​IMG]

Susan

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by