First Day in the Big World! -- Rooster? (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AuburnChickenNewbies, Apr 30, 2011.

1. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    We finally had a decent afternoon around here and, although a little bit breezy, the weather was so nice that I thought it might be a good time to bring the 3+ week old girls out to see the big world. The dogs were insanely curious (this is gonna be a problem ... gotta work on this). Don't know if the chicks were impressed or not, but they did peck around in the grass a bit.

[​IMG]

This is the one that I'm thinking might be a rooster. What do you think? It holds its tail up differently than the others .. but then maybe its just at that developmental stage. Sure looks different than the other Ameraucana we have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Construction work is just beginning on the coop, as well. Took a bit of head scratching today by my two construction guys, but we finally have traction! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, finally, introduced strawberries and a dash of yogurt this week. Hysterically funny watching one of them grab a berry chunk and run madly around the pen with everyone else in pursuit. Totally oblivious to the fact that there was a whole plate of berry pieces -- enough for everyone. Those little chicken brains can apparently only handle dash, grab and run! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Did the suspect roo develop the tail later than the rest?

My roos had no tail for a few weeks and the hens had nice little tails started.

Here's a pic of my EE hen's tail when they were young to ease your mind....

[​IMG]

3. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:Cute!

No, this little one's tail actually is far ahead of everyone else's I think. She/he also has a bit more of a "get outa my way" attitude too. Tends to sit more off by itself. Not particularly bigger than the rest and definitely in the middle of whatever chaos is happening at any one time. We're such newbies at all of this, that I truly have no idea. Fun to watch, that's for sure!

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

There might have been a whole plate of strawberry chunks, but the other chicks could tell that the fast one got the biggest, best and tastiest chunk of all!!! Second best just won't do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by