First day in the sun

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shadowmane, Mar 16, 2012.

1. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

I took my little girls out in the sun today for their first forage in the grass. I made a ring in with some chicken wire attached to metal fence posts, put their water out there, then set them out to forage for a couple of hours. At first, they clung to the edge of the mesh, looking around. Finally, two of them who have become my buddies (they fly up to the edge of the brooder to say hi to me every day, hanging out on my hands as perches for a little bit), broke from the group and came to say hi to me. I had put my chair in the middle so I could sit with them. At any rate, I got some pretty good shots of them. Specially Suzie, the rooster suspect. So here they are, in all their sun-bathed glory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chick craning her neck is Sophie, who is one of my buddies.

[​IMG]

This is Suzie, investigating the chicken wire (or a bug in the grass).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Sophie again. Dunno what she's looking for. In the foreground, all fuzzy, is Minnie.

[​IMG]

This picture of Suzie shows her shoulders. Look at the red. She has red on the shoulders and on her wing bows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Spunky the Americauna in the foreground with one of her un-named sisters. Spunky has a lot of personality. She's very skiddish, though.

[​IMG]

Here's a little group shot. This is 11 of the 15 in one shot.

[​IMG]

This is Thelma, investigating a water droplet on the side of the water jug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look to the left of Thelma, you'll see a SLW with a single comb (this is my other buddie, who likes to hang out on my hand). We haven't named this one yet, but she will likely be named once the family settles on one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Minnie investigating the grass by the fence.

[​IMG]

I like the buff coloring on Minnie. She's another skiddish Americauna.

[​IMG]

This SLW has matching tufts behind each ear. I hope she keeps them, but I know that's not very likely.

[​IMG]

These two are skiddish. In fact, all seven of the Americaunas are kind of skiddish. I don't really understand it either. We've handled them. They just don't like being handled for some reason. The Wyandottes, on the other hand, will come right up to you.

[​IMG]

We seem to have quite a few un-named. We've been naming them once they show some personality, so that their names fit.

[​IMG]

This is Sophie and Spunky hanging out by my chair.

That's all of the pictures I took. I had fun watching them turn from frightened little chicks to masters of the small amount of yard I let them roam in the course of 2 hours.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    How cute, thanks for sharing!

3. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    Thanks for sharing!! They're so pretty!!

4. MarissaC

MarissaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Near Waco, TX
    Adorable! They look like they're enjoying their time outside!

BantamOfTheOpera: I love your username. I couldn't help but giggle a little!

5. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

[​IMG]

6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I'm glad to bring a smile to your face [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow they blend in with the leaves so well. They look happy running in the grass, safe and sound.

8. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

[​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Happy little chicks! Lovin' the outside! Thanks for sharing with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by