First day laying acting strange limping Pekin

kkrs

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
My Pekin duck, Preacher has definitely started laying. This morning, I found a beautiful hard shelled egg in their pen - I'm not sure which of my two girls laid it, but was thrilled with my first "present". I let them free range all day long in my backyard today, as I was working from home and it was gorgeous outside. I noticed that my Preacher had separated herself from the other ducks, and was lying in the grass. I assumed that she was not the original egg layer, and was keeping up with her sister. I later found a soft shelled egg in the lawn, and noticed that Preacher was still lethargic and limping a little. I decided that I'd give her a warm bath, and see if she was having a hard time laying. She spent 30 minutes in the tub - and as she was waddling back outside, she did lay a tiny soft shelled egg - I'm not certain if it cracked when it hit the floor, but there was a slit in the top of it - although the entire egg was contained in the soft shell. She went back outdoors to her buddies, and hung around them for a bit, ate and enjoyed some peas ~ but, she's not right. I have her separated from the group in a dog kennel in my garage - as luck would have it, I did run out of duck food three days ago, and have been dealing with a family emergency - they have been eating kitten food - I know, terrible... But, we are dealing with a close relative who has discontinued dialysis treatments and I just have not had time to get to the farm store between ferrying out of town family members to the hospital, saying goodbye, and everything else in between. I will go to the farm store tomorrow. I guess my long rambling post is this: is this normal behavior for a duck who just begins laying? Am I doing the right thing? I did cut up some kale and put it in her water. She's my favorite duck, she's actually in love with me ~ and I don't want to lose her. I also don't want a vet bill. I just paid the $1,500 bill from my naughty Rouen duck's adventure last month. I can't afford that again. Please help, I'm new at this and trying my best.

This is Preacher. I think that she looks like Donald Duck. She's so sweet, y'all.

This is Preacher. I think that she looks like Donald Duck. She's so sweet, y'all.
She is a sweet looking duck but I'd say she looks more like Daisy than Donald. lol

Well she def needs more calcium since she is starting to lay. So either layer with oyster shell or reg feed with oyster shell on the side either way. Also you might want to pick up some Calcium citrate 250 mgs and add to her drinking water to see if that helps with shells. Sometimes when they first start laying they can lay soft shelled eggs but usually the kinks get worked out.

Make sure all your layers are getting adequate calcium or their body will take it out of their bones. Not good.

Very sorry about your family member.
hugs.gif
@kkrs

Last edited:

Ok, she just laid this egg in my lap - I don't know if I should be honored... But, should I be concerned? This is day two of laying and the last two eggs have looked exactly like this - same split on the top.

Ok, she just laid this egg in my lap - I don't know if I should be honored... But, should I be concerned? This is day two of laying and the last two eggs have looked exactly like this - same split on the top.
Hopefully this is just a fluke from eating cat food and not feed with the right amount of calcium. Kitten food is fine for a treat but for egg layers they need a good feed with good nutrients formulated for poultry. Hopefully once you get her back on reg poultry feed this will stop.

Back
Top Bottom