First day of free-ranging...

Gladys Rabbit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
California Coast
... or at least, running around the back yard.

My four chicks are about five weeks old and have been living outside in their coop full-time for about a week. Today I decided to let them loose in the yard for the first time, mostly to see how my Chihuahua Lilly would react. I didn't know if she'd chase them or nip at them or what she might do. Turns out, she decided to become one of the flock. All five of them wandered around the yard together, no fear or aggression from anybody. I wouldn't leave her out there unattended until the hens are bigger than she is, but it looks like they are all going to be friends. A cat came into the yard and Lilly chased the cat away. So, a positive experience! Except they just about ruined the petunias, trampling them down with their big feet and eating all the blossoms. But I'm so happy to have chickens that I smiled.
smile.png

It's a great feeling, watching them wonder around the yard. I love it. My dogs don't like it much when the chickens play king of the dog hill (yep, they climb right up on their backs) but after a bit of grumbling they figured out all they have to do is get up and walk away. It's great.

My Chi was indifferent to them - However, the Ducks are a totally different story - for some reason, Daffy - my campbell, will chase Jesse all over the yard. She does not give Jesse one moements peace. I have to go out and make Daffy leave Jesse alone. LOLOL

I have a chihuahua and a Shih-Tsu that hang out with the chickens everyday. Here is a pic of Ricky trying to get in on the tomato treats that Emily was giving the chickens:
99283_chicken_dog.jpg

When my Pekin goes broody (they aren't supposed to do that!) She chases my dogs around the yard honking,quacking and hissing. I have pit bulls! It's the funniest thing to see a duck chasing off this dog so many people are scared of just because ages a "big bad" pit bull.

Quote:
If you are referring to a bantam cochin, often times called a pekin esp. in other countries, they are most definitely supposed to go broody.

McKenley5, that is a very cute picture!

What type of chicken is the tan and white one? I have one just like that and I think she's a golden comet? (I pretty much bought four random hopefully-female chicks from the feed store and I don't actually know what they all are.)

Back
Top Bottom