first day of free ranging!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rosiekitty94, Aug 25, 2013.

1. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    I just let my 11 week old chickens out for the first time. They really seem to love the compost!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chickens love exploring! But at 11 weeks, looks like you may have 3 roosters there if you didn't already know that.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It's fun watching them run around enjoying themselves isn't it. It always amazes me how fast they adapt to being outside and start doing all the chicken things like scratching and just trying to eat everything.

4. rosiekitty94

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    Oh yeah. Out of 8 chicks that I got, I appear to have 6 roosters. Either that or 4 roosters and 2 crowing hens along with 2 regular hens. I was working on a bachelor pad for the initial 2 I knew I had but as of last week I have decided it's just easier to make it the hen house. [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like the hen house becomes the rooster house and you have a batchlorette pad. The white one and the little one are your two girls?

6. rosiekitty94

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    Yep! I'm going to get rid of the two large white ones, the reddish black one and the reddish black one with the green tail feathers and orange neck. There are two more "roosters." Peeper who I'm almost certain is a roo and Lil' Debbie or Lil' Darrell. I'm still not sure about the Lil' one, he has large comb and wattles and keeps trying to crow but he has no tail feathers. Other than that, he follows Peeper around but acts super timid on his own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by