First Day of Spring here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicky, Aug 31, 2008.

1. vicky

vicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Everyone from the Southern Hemisphere!
    Yep it's the first day of spring here today, and I pick up my 2 brand spankin new chicks tomorrow arvo.

BUT.... i have to work all day, pick them up at 3pm, then drop them at home in their box i've prepped for them, then I have to go out and work again till 9pm. The poor littlies will be sooo lonely. :-(

But at least I get a free awesome dinner at work tomorrow night. tee hee.

I can't wait to post up photos of them.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Happy Spring to you! I'm so happy to be moving into Fall I feel like doing a nekkid happy dance in the front yard. It's been a cooler than normal Summer for us though only about 18 days over 105.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Happy Spring [​IMG]

I'm so glad though were going into fall i LOVE fall ..when the leaves turn color and it cools down and your home all nice am warm and the smell of home cooked meals!! [​IMG]

i'm so ready to be done with summer..lol

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I'm jealous Vicky. I am already moving toward end of summer depression. It's the only season I love. I hibernate mostly in fall and winter and spring is just miserable with Hay Fever.

I need to move where summers are longer for sure.

Enjoy the nice weather! [​IMG]

5. vicky

vicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well maybe I over exaggerated when I said Spring. We don't really have seasons where I live.... and the city I used to live in before this was well in to the tropics - so we only had rain, or heat.

Here in Brisbane though, we basically have summer - which involves lots of storms and stinking hot sun, and then winter - which involves maybe putting a jumper on. That's it.

6. vicky

vicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Here are my two little chicks. Just got them yesterday and they cheeped so loudly all the way home... but then I got them under the heat lamp and they just loved it!

Ones an Australorp, and the other's an Isabrown.

[​IMG]

7. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Adorable! Best of luck with them [​IMG]

8. vicky

vicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks!
    We went out in the garden just before for a few minutes. They loved it. Were a bit freaked out at first - like ArGHH! what's all this land! hehe but then they started pecking at some big black ants on the ground it was so funny. The ants could have eaten them whole. :)

And it was so hot in the sun they kept trying to hide in my shadow... it was gorgeous.

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congratulations on your new chicks, they're so cute!

When I saw the title to your thread I had to open it to find out where you are that you're just now starting into spring. We had our first real fall-like day Monday... it was great! After all the forest fires here in California this summer, I can't wait for winter. C'mon rain!

Happy Spring to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by